Question SSD Boot Drive

Apr 5, 2019
Hi - wonder if anyone can help. I’ve recently added an m2 SSD drive to an Acer laptop running Windows 10. I cloned the original HDD on to the new SSD then set the boot order in the bios as the SSD as no 1. Windows continued to boot through the old HDD. I then enabled f12 boot and through manually selecting the SSD can boot correctly. However, if I don’t press f12, the laptop still attempts to boot from the old HDD which I have now formatted and erased (after cloning to another SSD!). I get an error message saying Windows is attempting critical repair. If I restart and enter through f12 all works perfectly. Any ideas on how to fx this? I have already repeatedly reset the boot order in bios (f2).
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Steve

Heh, I JUST did this. The problem here is that in it's infinite wisdom Windows wrote the boot sector to the wrong drive. So, the easiest way to deal with this is to disconnect the HDD or disable it in the BIOS, then install Windows onto the new SSD. This will force Windows to install the boot sector and boot loader to the SSD instead of doing its STUPID thing where it writes it to NOT the OS drive. I don't know why Microsoft hasn't fixed this issue.

g-unit1111

Titan
Heh, I JUST did this. The problem here is that in it's infinite wisdom Windows wrote the boot sector to the wrong drive. So, the easiest way to deal with this is to disconnect the HDD or disable it in the BIOS, then install Windows onto the new SSD. This will force Windows to install the boot sector and boot loader to the SSD instead of doing its STUPID thing where it writes it to NOT the OS drive. I don't know why Microsoft hasn't fixed this issue.

Yeah that's one thing that is very maddening about Windows 10. I just went through this when I was upgrading my PC, I found out that Windows had not placed the boot sector on the installation drive. But the way to avoid this in the future is to remove ALL of your secondary drives during the Windows install and then that theoretically shouldn't happen. But then again the keyword there is "theoretically".