[SOLVED] SSD Boot Drive

Sep 28, 2019
I recently bought a 120gb Kingston ssd for the sole purpose of being a boot drive. However the daunting prospect of having to erase my old HDD entirely has put me off changing it.

I want the SSD to have my windows bootup files on it and keep my HDD for all my games and other files I have downloaded.

If I disconnected my hdd and was then to install the OS onto my ssd. Could I then reconnect my hdd and use as normal, making sure I change bios settings to boot from the ssd.

This could be a really silly question but this is my first time dabbling with reconstructing a pc.

I have taken apart and put back together with the same parts but once everything arrives this week I aim to change my graphics card, processor, add the ssd for a boot drive and change my psu.

I want everything to go smoothly so if you could answer as detailed as possible, that would be great. Thanks

Solution
You can either clone the HDD, by using a dedicated application (I can't recommend one), or install Windows on the SSD (HDD disconnected), then reconnect the HDD (keep the SSD as the first boot drive in BIOS) and reinstall the games, specifying the path on the HDD. Even if installing games on the HDD, some files and registries will be saved on the SSD.
You can either clone the HDD, by using a dedicated application (I can't recommend one), or install Windows on the SSD (HDD disconnected), then reconnect the HDD (keep the SSD as the first boot drive in BIOS) and reinstall the games, specifying the path on the HDD. Even if installing games on the HDD, some files and registries will be saved on the SSD.

Solution