Question SSD boot time is normal ?

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
hi ,
I was forced to disable fast boot on my windows 10 because I think it´s causing some bug on my amd drivers , at least amd sugested to disable it because could be the issue between many other things that they tell me to do and didin´t work .
before disabling the fast boot my boot time from the time I press the computer button was 18 seconds now is 26 seconds . very bad time or just normal ?

PC components :
MSI a88xm e35
AMD a8 6600k
Corsair xms3 1666mhz
Corsair vs550w
AMD RX 580
SSD kingston a400 120gb
HDD WD blue 1tb
OS Windows 10 1903

I think the post time is too long , but I already disabled what I could to boot up faster .

Colif

Win 11 Master
26 seconds isn't too bad. I assume thats from startup to desktop?

fast boot in bios or Fast Startup in windows?

Fast boot - from what I can tell, all it does is stops the ability to boot from USB. Some bios have ultra fast boot that blocks ability to get into BIOS as well.

Fast startup in windows is likely what they got you to turn off as it can play havoc with drivers not designed for win 10, and judging by age of BIOS available on your board, I would say you have a few of them.

D

Deleted member 14196

it's not really bad at all. my old FX-8150 at work takes longer than that to boot. and it has an SSD. my notebook at home takes about 20 sec from power on to login without fast startup enabled, you should be fine

Reactions: Rui Neves

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
26 seconds isn't too bad. I assume thats from startup to desktop?

fast boot in bios or Fast Startup in windows?

Fast boot - from what I can tell, all it does is stops the ability to boot from USB. Some bios have ultra fast boot that blocks ability to get into BIOS as well.

Fast startup in windows is likely what they got you to turn off as it can play havoc with drivers not designed for win 10, and judging by age of BIOS available on your board, I would say you have a few of them.
26 seconds since I press the power button . The bios have fast boot, the hbios fast bot on my case I can´t select the device to boot of if I want to boot from usb I have to use windows to go to the bios since I can´t go to bios either , I have disabled the fast boot on Windows 10 . Before I disable fast boot on Windows was 18 seconds the boot
There are some drivers for Windows 10 in this board yet but seems that I am having a bug on amd drivers that happens with most people because fast boot on Windows 10

Last edited:

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
26 seconds since I press the power button . The bios have fast boot, the hbios fast bot on my case I can´t select the device to boot of if I want to boot from usb I have to use windows to go to the bios since I can´t go to bios either , I have disabled the fast boot on Windows 10 . Before I disable fast boot on Windows was 18 seconds the boot
There are some drivers for Windows 10 in this board yet but seems that I am having a bug on amd drivers that happens with most people because fast boot on Windows 10
just checking mate. I still think the boot time is ok
Well but have to enable msi fast boot to have this time is bad too , because I cant have acess to bios or boot from anything from bios , only can get to the bios from Windows recovery

D

Deleted member 14196

clear the CMOS, remove the battery while it's off and leave it sit for 10 minutes off. reinsert the battery and boot, you should be able to get to bios

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
clear the CMOS, remove the battery while it's off and leave it sit for 10 minutes off. reinsert the battery and boot, you should be able to get to bios
What I want to say is that disadvantage of don´t acess to bios normally because msi fast boot is annoying , should have be a way to post faster without this disadvantage , the post without msi fast boot is even slower on this mobo :/....
I know that I am asking too much for the cost and the age of it , but don´t hurt begging for more :D
Btw there´s a easier way to access bios on msi fast boot ... or with windows recovery if I can acess windows and that´s the case , or if I want to install the windows or boot another software I can just simply plug a PS/2 keyboard on the computer , that will take longer to POST and I can use either the PS/2 keyboard or usb keyboard

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't think it will get much faster that 26, with fast startup turned off. Fast startup in win 10 changes the way windows turns off. With it on, the PC uses a hybrid hibernate mode to save all open drivers + a copy of windows kernel into ram at shutdown, so when you restart PC it is already partially loaded. That is likely the difference between your load speed.

With fast startup off, PC returns to being like every version of windows before it (though win 8 had fast startup, lets just ignore that) and when you turn PC on, it has to start from the beginning each time.

Since you have an older PC, there are drivers on board that weren't written to handle the new Win 10 power modes, and bug out if they aren't restarted at every startup. There isn't anything you can do about that if the hardware makers haven't released drivers for Win 10,

Changing fast boot in bios won't increase boot speed, it just removes your ability to use USB devices to boot PC.

Last edited:

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
I don't think it will get much faster that 26, with fast startup turned off. Fast startup in win 10 changes the way windows turns off. With it on, the PC uses a hybrid hibernate mode to save all open drivers + a copy of windows kernel into ram at shutdown, so when you restart PC it is already partially loaded. That is likely the difference between your load speed.

With fast startup off, PC returns to being like every version of windows before it (though win 8 had fast startup, lets just ignore that) and when you turn PC on, it has to start from the beginning each time.

Since you have an older PC, there are drivers on board that weren't written to handle the new Win 10 power modes, and bug out if they aren't restarted at every startup. There isn't anything you can do about that if the hardware makers haven't released drivers for Win 10,

Changing fast boot in bios won't increase boot speed, it just removes your ability to use USB devices to boot PC.
actually the msi startup on bios gives me about 5 seconds more , I have 26 seconds with it as I said and without is I have like 31 seconds .
in terms of drivers windows 10 have the same drivers as other windows on this motherboard , even two of them was updated this month https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/a88xm-e35#down-driver .
all of this have started because the stupid amd drivers bugs on startup of windows 10 for no reason since all system seems stable to me , so stable that the driver of amd crash , more specific amd wattman and even with that bug at startup I can game and all as well as I did . At least without fast boot on windows 10 that does,´t happen , windows is not the best system either to be honest . as you can see still exist support on this MB , but the bios is old , there you are right, but it was designed for win 8 wich is not a big of a difference in most hardware .

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
try reverting to an earlier driver for the AMD
I tried for the first one of 2019 , let´s see what happens .

btw AMD drivers are with enormous bugs since new windows 10 version ....

I already had made a post before because when I was installing a new driver sometimes my screen became yellow , and after restart all became good again ... some usera are facing the same issue too . https://community.amd.com/thread/240032

AMD have to do something , but seems hat they don´t hear the users .

already have 2 bugs the last drivers with last windows 10 version ! I am almost changing to a Nvidia card