Question SSD Boot

Feb 18, 2019
Hello. I just recently built my first pc. I have my ssd set to boot windows. But run into a problem. I have a 240gb ssd with a 1tb hard drive. When I go into my bios to move my ssd to priority #1, the ssd is the only option on the boot menu but it doesn’t boot to windows when I turn the pc on. I have to manually go in and click on the ssd to start up windows. It’s really confusing and idk how to get it to boot straight up from the ssd without having to go into the bios every single time. Even though it’s the only boot option my pc shows. It still won’t boot from the ssd right away.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Please list your system specs including the motherboard make/model. Win 10?
Check system information and let me know what the BIOS Mode is.

Meanwhile, you might try another clean install of Win, this time with the HDD data cable unplugged. On rare occasions, the Win installation pgm will install the boot sector to the wrong drive.

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I agree with this answer as I have had that happen before, though it didn't stop me from booting to windows it did cause issues with my back up & restore routines.

One thing that might help also is to make sure that your SSD is the first device on the SATA port in other words port 0. Ports are typically numbered 0-5 however label on motherboard will likely say SATA6_1through SATA6_6. always put boot drive in lowest numbered port.

Last edited: