[SOLVED] SSD boots, but when I plug my HDD in, it doesn’t work

Oct 5, 2020
SSD boots, but when I plug my HDD in, it doesn’t boot
Hey guys so I just bought a new Samsung 970 EVO plus ssd

and I wanna use it too boot my pc and stuff. Anyways I installed windows on the ssd and made it my boot drive. Anyways, when I plug my original HDD back in too use as a storage drive, the PC doesn’t boot at all, it recognises it in the BIOS, but can’t boot onto my SSD.

But, when I unplug the HDD and boot up again, it boots perfectly. I don’t know why it’s doing this but the SDD & HDD do not work together. Anyways have any help?

Solution
Lets go one easier. In your bios what is your boot order when you have the SATA drive plugged in? If it is above the NVMe and has not had the boot partition properly removed it will hang if the data was deleted. If it isn't bootable just remove it from the boot order entirely or move it below your nvme.
Oct 5, 2020
If I am not mistaken, some motherboards will cut off power to certain SATA ports due to prioritizing bandwidth over to the NVMe drive. (See here and scroll down).

If you are using an NVMe, and your HDD is plugged into a certain SATA port, it will not give SATA power to the HDD.

Perhaps you have another OS on your HDD, and you have not configured which boot drive to use in your bios, so your pc is awaiting a solution? Just a suggestion.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Lets go one easier. In your bios what is your boot order when you have the SATA drive plugged in? If it is above the NVMe and has not had the boot partition properly removed it will hang if the data was deleted. If it isn't bootable just remove it from the boot order entirely or move it below your nvme.

Solution