[SOLVED] SSD boots to the wrong partitions.

Jul 22, 2021
I discovered what caused the problem, but don't know how to solve it. At the install, Windows Setup/Install said something like this: the partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommended order. I ignored it, and after booting in Windows I proceeded to the installation of all the applications needed (not important, although I would prefer to stay with my data.) After booting my computer up the next day, (today), I was struggling to boot into Windows. The only way I could boot into Windows is by going into my HDD's Windows Boot Manager and then booting into the SSD's Windows. That is because the arrangement of the partitions wasn't like it's supposed to be, and BIOS was trying to boot into those small 100-500MB partitions with

edit: Really important addition, the drive seems not to be identified as Windows Boot Manager.

Last edited:
Solution
D
You had the HDD hooked up when you install windows and that is part of the problem. You are going to want to disconnect all drives except the SSD, reinstall windows clean by choosing custom installation, delete all the partitions, Then create a new one and install windows

If you don’t want to do this then you are going to be stuck with what you have
I discovered what caused the problem, but don't know how to solve it. At the install, Windows said something like: the partition arrangement was not at recommended positions. I proceeded to ignore it, installed all the applications needed. After booting my computer up the next day, (today), I was struggling to boot into Windows. The only way I could boot into Windows is by going into my HDD's Windows Boot Manager and then booting into the SSD's Windows. That is because the arrangement of the partitions wasn't like it's supposed to be, and BIOS was trying to boot into those small 100-500MB partitions with

What is the size of your SSD and how many partitions does it currently have?

Jul 22, 2021
You should merge the current free and boot partitions into one partition, that will be for Windows.

As SSD has finite lifespan, it's generally not recommended to partition SSD drives with small size to several partitions.

How do I do it if I have data on my two partitions?

Jul 22, 2021
Backup your personal data to HDD / USB Flash / Cloud...

After merging the partition, you can either do a clean Windows installation or transfer the current Windows installation from the HDD to the SSD.
I don't want to do it. I bought the bigger SSD literally to partition it and dual boot. I just want to know how to move the partitions.

Jul 22, 2021
Backup your personal data to HDD / USB Flash / Cloud...

After merging the partition, you can either do a clean Windows installation or transfer the current Windows installation from the HDD to the SSD.
My guess is that there is no manager, because I can only boot to Windows through my HDD's Windows Boot Manager.

D

Deleted member 14196

You had the HDD hooked up when you install windows and that is part of the problem. You are going to want to disconnect all drives except the SSD, reinstall windows clean by choosing custom installation, delete all the partitions, Then create a new one and install windows

If you don’t want to do this then you are going to be stuck with what you have

Solution