blmol@9876

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Hello,
i bought a ssd ocz vertex 2 3.5 120 gb and a crosshair iv motherboard. my question is what cable do i use to get the best performance?the regular sata cable or the white and black 6gb cables or does it matter ?

Here is the official version:

"SATA Revision 3.0 was designed to facilitate a much more elegant – and cost effective – migration to higher data rates. Rather than completely redefining the spec, SATA Revision 3.0 achieves its data rate increase by faster signal switching. While this has resulted in changes to the PHY, modifications to the protocol have been kept to a minimum. In addition, SATA Revision 3.0 is backward compatible so that the same connectors and cabling used for SATA 3 Gb/s under SATA Revision 2.6 can be used for SATA 6Gb/s.

This decision not only enables end-users to retain their existing investment in
cabling when moving to SATA 6Gb/s, it also enables silicon manufacturers to maintain much of their existing IP. Except for the doubling of the data rate, SATA Revision 3.0 is no more complex than SATA Revision 2.6 from an electrical perspective, and no heroicsare required to implement the technology at 6Gb/s speeds."

In other words, as long as you have quality cables it won't matter.