[SOLVED] SSD cables question

marklcfc

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
I have a small 128gb SSD which I want to replace with a bigger one but I've never replaced a drive before. I've opened the computer up and can see there is one smaller cable going from the SSD to the SATA port on the motherboard. I guess I just reconnect the new SSD with that.

But there is another bigger cable, coming out of the SSD but the other end is just sitting there, not connected to anything. I am assuming this isn't normal but any ideas why? I've took a photo of it if it helps
ssd-cable.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
That bigger cable is the power, from the PSU.
The drive needs both. 1 data cable to the motherboard, and that power thing from the PSU.

That flat black thing in the center of your image connects directly to your second drive.

USAFRet

Titan
That bigger cable is the power, from the PSU.
The drive needs both. 1 data cable to the motherboard, and that power thing from the PSU.

That flat black thing in the center of your image connects directly to your second drive.

Solution

marklcfc

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
Oh ok, it just looked like that end should be connecting to something.
I do have a second drive, which I'd like to replace too as its a slow non ssd but not sure if I just unplug it like I will when replacing ssd for ssd, or would it require different cables?

USAFRet

Titan
Oh ok, it just looked like it should be connecting to something.
I do have a second drive, which I'd like to replace too as its a slow non ssd but not sure if I just unplug it like I will when replacing ssd for ssd, or would it require different cables?
SATA HDD and SATA SSD take exactly the same cables.
Unplug the hard drive, and connect the SSD with those same cables.

Reactions: marklcfc

USAFRet

Titan
Just to confirm this end thats pictured doesn't need to be plugged in? Its just sitting on the bottom of the case, and two ends are going into my ssd and other hard drive from what I see
That is an extra.
Generally, coming from the PSU, there are 2 or 3 power connections for drives on a single cable bundle.
If you were to be connecting another drive, in addition to the two you already have, you'd use that one.

Reactions: marklcfc

TRENDING THREADS