ssd cache drive problem/blue screen clock_watchdog error

akadennis

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Hello, I'm hoping someone on here can help me with my dilemma. A few days ago I got the blue screen on my pc that said Your PC ran into a problem that it couldn't handle, and now it needs to restart. You can search for the error online clock_watchdog_timeout. The blue screen did not go away so I did a hard shut down. Everything appeared fine when I logged back on. After reading a little about this error I decided to restore my bios settings to their defaults (even though I never changed anything on them). Once I did this the computer would not boot up at all to windows, all I kept getting was the same blue screen. The PC went into some sort of repare mode where it gave me some start up options. I tried to choose system restore, system recovery, pc reset, etc and nothing worked. I got a message regarding my hard drive partition or something to that effect (can't remember exactly). I then went back into my bios and on the boot tab I went down to Hard Disk Drivers and I changed the 1st Boot Device from Windows Boot Manager to UEFI OS. When the computer restarted I still got the same blue screen and it once again it went into diag/repair mode where it gave me some start up options. I selected PC reset and this worked. But now the Sata SSD does not appear to be working properly at least according to the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Software. The SSD drive (Samsung PM 830 MSATA 32GB) as I understand it is only a cache drive attached to my 2tb HD. On the Intel Rapid software it's STATUS is incompatible and usage Unknown. I did call Dell who had me do a complete diagnostics and everything came out normal. They told me as long as the computer appears to be working fine I should just ignore the error. SATA mode on BIOS is ACHI, switching it to RAID gives me the blue screen again. Now I noticed in my BIOS that I no longer have the option to boot to UEFI OS from the 1st Boot Device and I no longer have a 2nd Boot Device. Sorry for the long post, I'm hoping someone on here can help me with this as Dell is useless at this point.

Solution
How about some system specs or at least a dell model #
Setting up a caching SSD is different on AMD systems then it is on Intel...

Make sure you have your important data backed up, I suspect a full restore/reinstall will be needed to put it back the way it was.

popatim

Titan
How about some system specs or at least a dell model #
Setting up a caching SSD is different on AMD systems then it is on Intel...

Make sure you have your important data backed up, I suspect a full restore/reinstall will be needed to put it back the way it was.

Solution

akadennis

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Hi there, thanks for responding. I have done several Full restores and the problem does not go away. My system is XPS 8700 (X8700-4382BLK) •2 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 32 GB Solid State Drive
Processor: 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4770 Operating system: Windows 8 Home, English Memory (RAM): 16GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz Optical drive: 16x DVD±RW Drive Video graphics: NVIDIA® Geforce GTX 660 Media card reader: 19-in-1 Media Card Reader and USB 3.0 Bluetooth®: Bluetooth® tied to wireless card Audio: Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio with Waves MaxxAudio®.