[SOLVED] SSD cache with a mounted LAN drive?

Nov 12, 2019
"The Dream": I'm thinking about not incorporating a hard disk in a new build. I want the security and size of a large RAID array. I also want near SSD speeds.

I have a 36tb LAN drive (twelve 3tb drives in RAID6) on Cat6 cable. I have a spare "middle of the road" SSD.

Could I speed up a mounted drive from my LAN using an SSD cache with Intel Smart Response Tech (SRT)? If so, would it be as fast as an average hard disk?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
"The Dream": I'm thinking about not incorporating a hard disk in a new build. I want the security and size of a large RAID array. I also want near SSD speeds.

I have a 36tb LAN drive (twelve 3tb drives in RAID6) on Cat6 cable. I have a spare "middle of the road" SSD.

Could I speed up a mounted drive from my LAN using an SSD cache with Intel Smart Response Tech (SRT)? If so, would it be as fast as an average hard disk?

Performance is dictated by the slowest device in the chain.
Here, that would be your LAN.

In my NAS, I have 1x SSD and 3x 8TB HDD.
There is zero speed difference moving data from my desktops to space on the LAN, either to the SSD or to the spinning...

USAFRet

Titan

There is zero speed difference moving data from my desktops to space on the LAN, either to the SSD or to the spinning drives.
The gigabit LAN is the slow part of the chain.

Solution
Nov 12, 2019
https://www.wepc.com/tips/ssd-cache/

For a RAID setup SRT is the most viable option as tiering or even optane memory doesn't work with raid configurations. Please check out the link above to see how to proceed.

Thanks for that. I have seen this webpage earlier which is why I'm pursuing this potential option. I was planning to try using the SSD at my system, tied to a mounted drive from my LAN. Can I use an SSD cache with a mounted LAN drive?

Nov 12, 2019

There is zero speed difference moving data from my desktops to space on the LAN, either to the SSD or to the spinning drives.
The gigabit LAN is the slow part of the chain.

Thanks. I understand that the LAN is my slowest link. I do not plan to use the SSD in my NAS. I was thinking to use the SSD in my system, on my end, on a mounted LAN drive (if it's possible). My idea is to cache the most commonly used files from the mounted LAN drive on the SSD in my system. Possible?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks. I understand that the LAN is my slowest link. I do not plan to use the SSD in my NAS. I was thinking to use the SSD in my system, on my end, on a mounted LAN drive (if it's possible). My idea is to cache the most commonly used files from the mounted LAN drive on the SSD in my system. Possible?
SSD here, HDD and data over there, across the LAN?
I've not heard of any cache thing that would do that.

Nov 20, 2019
The closest thing would be Offline Files as it updates files locally to SSD drive for OS, and then syncs to the LAN. This would be required as LAN drives are multi user access.