Question SSD cannot be read with external Adapter

Jun 8, 2020
HI:
I have a problem trying to read a SSD EVO 250 GB , with an external IDE/SATA to USB3.0 adapter.
Everything is connected correctly .
It appears in Device Manager as a Disk Drive, I right click on the ICON and have all the options in the window that appears, nothing its greyed out.
But;
The situation is that the SSD EVO 250 GB. appears in Disk management as a ;
DISK 5
Removable (I:)
No Media
---------
And
I can't see or show information of it, if it's a NTFS or the amount of GB, if it's a Healthy partition etc. and when I right click on it, the options I got are just ;
Change drive letters paths
Eject .... is greyed out
Properties
Help
--------
Now under properties
General Tab ; it says
This device is working properly
in Volumes tab shows
Disk: Disk5
Type: Removable ( I:)
Partition Style: Master Boot Record (MBR)
Capacity: 0
Unallocated space: 0
Reserved space: 0

And is not showing in the screen top where I can see my other drives C: D: F: G: H:
Under my computer appears as a Removable Disk ( I:)

Please help I need to get inside to recover my data, this was inside my other computer.
any help will be appreciates and pls. forgive my ignorance about it .

Jun 8, 2020
how to fix it ?
Thank you very much for your time and assistance and pls. forgive my ignorance about it .

Just remember Im looking at the SSD externally is not installed into my PC , its connected via the adapter.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020
The computer have new SSD.
This SSD was inside the computer with the OS but some how, it got corrupted when installing w 10 and a change or power source and change of video card, so I dono what happen or how, as you see here and the other hard drives are in the same situation cannot be read, another SSD and a Mechanical drive , all this just got locked and cannot read them.

I tried Chkdisk etc... and nothing worked . So I pull them out of the computer and Install a new SSD.

But I have all my data work in the SSD as in the mechanical drive , so Im trying to see if I can retrieve that info of my drives :(

Jun 8, 2020
It appears that the USB-SATA bridge IC is being detected, but not the SSD behind the bridge. :-(

So is there a way to fix it ? I tried the chkdisk meanwhile it was on the computer but nothing :( at least to make this SSD work again , have no more money to buy another SSD , and I have to try to rerieve my data from the mechanical drive.

Jun 8, 2020
I have data on all of them , is this relevant to help me to fix this ?
I wan to kow how to fix this, for me it's important to save 2 drives data and one can be restore to factory .
And
I understand your curiosity to know what happen to my computer, so You can think in a fix of the culprit.
But your question about me trying to fix ( you say "messing" ) it's important for me , personal challenge and to know how to solve it !
Do you have any problem with it ?
Is not that how inventions and technology advance ? from looking to fix and discover ?
So my question for you is , why are you so interested on me trying to save my SSD drives with my own personal data " messing " ( suggest maybe a better choice of words there ) .
I dont have now more money now to invest on more SSD , so for me to try to save my own drives is a better solution.
COVID = 19 sir. SITREP
Hope that calm your curiosity and hopefully some one, can read my post having same situation and try to help to solve this problem.
Will be completely and sincerely appreciated

If it can be fix , this can set a precedent in the future if someone have the same problem and find a solution from my personal experience , happens from installing New power supply, change video cards in Crossfire and installing windows 10 home.

And that's why I'm here because some one suggest me this site , to come here to ask for help and assistance .
Thank you .

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020
Well sir... I tried but was WIPED OUT !!! could not read anymore the data !
Like totally WIPED OUT , nada, absolutely blank , could read anything !

The disk 5 is ( was) the BOOT disk !!! now do u understand why Im here ??!! I do not understand what happen ! i totally baffled.

I have to use dos screen and Bios to navigate in that computer.

it stop booting into windows.
It didn't allow me to fix windows, it was trap in that fix window, never pass from there , and I could not even install fresh . because the other 2 drives were in the partition of the boot drive ! was strange for me ! I ask my wife if she did something to the install drives but she said no .
So I decide to install a small 120 GB ssd and try to save my hdds . before more damage been inflicted to them.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020
I read that some ppl. had problems when changing the power supply, they lost data and wipe info in motherboard etc. and all this in Windows 10 , weird.