Question SSD cannot boot in GPT ?

Nov 6, 2021
Hi all,
Please help me with this strange situation:
I have 2 SSD (128G and 240G) both of which I used for OSes. They worked fine with MBR.
  • Strangely when I switch to UEFI and use GPT, only the 128G work (now running dualboot artixlinux & Windows 11). The 240G (whatever i tried) cannot work with GPT as an internal drive even though the bios still recognizes it correctly.
  • The 240G works when I pull it out and use it as and external drive by plugging it to the USB port. It now can run voidlinux in GPT -which i installed independently. But when I plug it in as internal drive, it failed to boot (bios still recognize it).
In all cases, I only use one SSD drive at a time.

Please help me to use the 240G drive in GPT as a internal drive.

My laptop is Toshiba Portege R30A (now called dynabook R734). The 240G drive is a OCZ100.

Thank you all

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
If your prior install was on CSM, then you will need to reinstall the OS after disabling CSM if converting the partition structure from MBR to GPT doesn't alleviate the issue. Make and model of the SSD's?

Side note, does your laptop have any BIOS updates pending? Do the SSD's have firmware updates pending?

Reactions: ninhnq.r
Nov 6, 2021
If your prior install was on CSM, then you will need to reinstall the OS after disabling CSM if converting the partition structure from MBR to GPT doesn't alleviate the issue. Make and model of the SSD's?

Side note, does your laptop have any BIOS updates pending? Do the SSD's have firmware updates pending?

Thank you to your prompt reply,
I have reinstalled all the OSes after disabling CSM, formated, make new structure to GPT and make new partitions from scratch. Still the problem persisted.
The SSD is from OCZ (toshiba) model OCZ Arc 100.

The BIOS was updated to lastest one 3 years ago (version 5.10) and there is no BIOS or firmware update available.