News SSD capacity could quadruple by 2029 — 8Tb NAND will bring big and affordable SSDs to the market

Mar 19, 2024
"We live in 2024. 2Tb QLC NAND memory devices are readily available..."

QLC = TIME BOMB made by tricky laws of planned obsolescence. Looks like worst nightmare of SSD manufacturers is SSD which never breaks

Last edited:
With the arrival of 3D NAND about a decade ago, the storage capacity of solid-state drives has been increasing rapidly, and the per-GB price has been decreasing steadily.

Sadly with the arrival of PCIe 4.0 and now 5.0, the per-TB price has remained steady at around $100/TB, and 8TB SATA SSDs, for the consumer market anyway, are limited to the 3 year old Samsung 870 QVO which has doubled in price since October to over $600 again at Amazon, not to mention smaller format devices (such as cell phones) still bringing on the order of $100/128GB.

SSD capacity may quadruple, but I predict price per GB will remain relatively unchanged.

Giroro

Splendid
QLC is trash. The slight increase in capacity was not worth the massive decrease in longevity and performance.
PLC will take a similarly huge performance hit, for even less uplift in capacity

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
Sadly with the arrival of PCIe 4.0 and now 5.0, the per-TB price has remained steady at around $100/TB, and 8TB SATA SSDs, for the consumer market anyway, are limited to the 3 year old Samsung 870 QVO which has doubled in price since October to over $600 again at Amazon, not to mention smaller format devices (such as cell phones) still bringing on the order of $100/128GB.

SSD capacity may quadruple, but I predict price per GB will remain relatively unchanged.
Doom and gloom is warranted when it comes to SSDs and the chasing of more bits per cell. The technology is improving in density but not much else. Increased burst speeds from PCIe 5.0+ are irrelevant.

When it comes to pricing, I think we are in the bad part of a cycle. I remember 2 TB SSDs below $100 not long ago, particularly for budget brands like Team Group which got to around $60. Prices are way up from the low point but there are still decent deals around:

https://slickdeals.net/f/17794608-2...h-pcie-gen4-x4-nvme-m-2-ssd-100-free-shipping

It's believable that 8 TB SSDs could be $100 or less in the early 2030s, as the 1 Tb NAND chips get replaced by 4 Tb of the same size. But we're going to be stuck with at least QLC in consumer devices, guaranteed, and we've seen the industry talk of PLC (5 bits per cell) and beyond. It would be great if something fundamentally improved on NAND technology like that "X-NAND" you linked, or one of the many vaporware NAND killers over the years like Crossbar RRAM.