SSD Card (or maybe Windows 10) rollback issue

bimorx

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Hello everyone!

I'm having a big problem with my new SSD card, at least i think its the problem have to do with it...
I installed a Samsung 750 Evo on my PC (Desktop), and on the first day everything was nice and running perfectly smooth.
But on the next day i had some SERIOUS issues while transfering data from my old HDD to the SSD (just a backup to wipe the HDD and reinstall it again later to use as main storage, living the SSD only for windows and other apps), and corrupted the whole folder i created for backup on my SSD, messed up with my whole Windows 10 installation, i couldnt even boot to it so i reinstalled and cleared the entire SSD.

Turns out the problem was on the sata cables on my HDD causing the HDD to randomly disconnect and then reconnecting to the mobo, i replaced the cable and then i got everything to work perfectly for 3 days, until now. Today i booted to my HDD (i didnt formated it yet due to this instability between the migration to the SSD and daily use) to work, and some hours later i rebooted the PC to get on the other Windows 10 installation i have on the SSD, then i noticed that the whole system have restored itself to 2 days earlier, all the apps i installed in these 2 days, all the files they created and i have created are lost and everything looks exactly like 2 days ago, when i did my last format of the SSD and reinstalled the Windows 10.

I runned 4 softwares to check my SSD, and all of them pointed it as working perfectly and healthy.
Right now im with the Samsung Magician, and looks like everything is perfect, except the fact that i rolled back 2 days on my system and lost everything i did in this period.

Does anyone ever experienced something like this? May i just return the SSD over warranty? Or is this something i missed to configure on Windows 10 to "accept" or adapt to the brand new SSD? Can some one help please?

* Sorry for my bad english its not my first language, really hope you guys understand...

Solution

I would physically disconnect the HDD until you have the time to set things up properly.
But if there is a lot of 'stuff' on it, then you just have to be really, really careful about which drive you boot into.
Do not rely on a drive letter 'C' to tell you.

bimorx

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
First of all, thank you for the quick reply!!

Yes it does, right now i can boot on both HDD and SSD without a problem as i did yesterday, but the system restored itselft to 2 days ago on the SSD (the HDD is system is OK), and there was no error or warning messages anywhere

USAFRet

Titan

No idea how or why the SSD may have reverted back to two days ago.
But having 2 viable identical OS's on 2 drives only leads to confusion.

I'm thinking that "2 days ago" thing is due to actually running and installing applications on the HDD, rather than the SSD.
Now, booting from the SSD properly...your stuff over the last two days is not there.

bimorx

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
At first i thought about the dual boot of 2 windows causing all the problems, and maybe it is, i cant manage to format both drives today because i have a lot of work pending on the HDD, but maybe on the next weekend...

But the past 2 days, i only used the SSD, installed all apps and games on it, and on these 2 days i didnt use my hdd, only today i used the hdd, and all this happened.

Is it possible the HDD installation of the Windows 10 maybe messing the system on the SSD?

USAFRet

Titan

I would physically disconnect the HDD until you have the time to set things up properly.
But if there is a lot of 'stuff' on it, then you just have to be really, really careful about which drive you boot into.
Do not rely on a drive letter 'C' to tell you.

Solution

bimorx

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015

Thanks for the advice, i think i will do this, im moving the stuffs i need to work tomorrow to my SSD, then i will disconnect the HDD and use it for another couple of days having only one option of OS...

So in 2 or 3 days from now will post back here if things works (or not) as intended to tell you and other who may need this kind of help...

I really appreciate your help friend! Hope i can solve this problem just by removing the duplicated OS...

USAFRet

Titan
I see no reason why that should not work.

Just the other day, a user was flummoxed as to why his system automagically reverted back to as it was a year ago.
He was thinking virus, MS tomfoolery, or other weirdness.

No, it was just a bad SATA cable. His system couldn't boot from the primary drive, and went down to the secondary boot option drive. Which still had the OS from last year on it.

bimorx

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015

Ouch, looks a bigger problem than mine, but in my case unfortunately it really reverted, even my Google Chrome settings was set to the defaults just like ive never used it, but on the HDD everything is normal... Well lets see if things stabilize now...

Thanks again! I will pick as the solution, but anyways if the problem get back, i will post here so we can discuss again if you will of course.. thank you!

bimorx

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Bumping just to conclude the thread.

Thank you USAFRet for your help, the issue was easier than i first thought but if it wasnt your advice i would probably ended returning my SSD over warranty.

So looks like the problem was switching betweens drives, some times booting to hdd and some times on ssd. I stopped doing that and had no problem so far.

Yesterday i finished the backup of all my stuffs and cleared the HDD so now im using it as a storage only drive, but when i wiped the HDD it has a partition kinda "linked" to my SSD windows 10 install, because when i deleted this partittion i couldnt boot to Windows anymore, i had to repair through a USB Drive.

But after that everything is fine, i repaired the boot files and my system is running smooth now. So probably the issue was often switching between HDD and SSD.

Thanks again! And sorry for the bad english :)