[SOLVED] SSD causes computer to not boot up, stuck at splash screen. Is the SSD data still recoverable?

meowmeow1234

Commendable
Sep 22, 2020
I've been dealing with some computer issues today where I had a series of errors/crashes happen ("Unknown Hard Error" and BSOD with stop code "Critical Process Died"), and eventually it would not boot up past the logo screen nor could I even get into BIOS. I discovered that it was because of the SSD (ADATA SU630) - with it plugged in, the computer would not boot at all, but if it wasn't connected everything would work fine.

Does this mean that the SSD is dead? I have a lot of important data on it, and would really like to recover it if possible. From what I've heard, an SSD is generally considered dead if the computer cannot recognize it. However in this case it causes the computer to not even boot up, which I suppose is worse. But I just wanted to make sure if there wasn't anything I might be able to do.

Solution
Yes, I'm starting to get that about backing things up. It seems data loss can happen very suddenly and unexpectedly.
My last 3 dead drives:

3TB WD Green. Went from seemingly perfect to dead in about 36 hours. 5 weeks old.
960GB SanDisk SSD. Went from working just fine to absolutely dead in 5 minutes. 3 years old.
14TB Toshiba Enterprise. Over the space of 5 days, went from 0 to 14,000+ bad sectors. 7 months old, awaiting replacement from Toshiba.

In all cases, my backup routine saved 100% of the data.
Warranty replaced the physical drive.

meowmeow1234

Commendable
Sep 22, 2020
You should ALWAYS have a backup of any data you do not wish to lose.
Put this drive in a different PC as a secondary drive, and see what happens. Do NOT try to boot from it in the other PC.
See #1.

What specific drive is it?

Yes, I'm starting to get that about backing things up. It seems data loss can happen very suddenly and unexpectedly.

I don't have access to another desktop PC at the moment and I'm not sure when I will. The only other available computers around are laptops. I have ordered a SATA to USB cable which will arrive in a couple of days and I should be able to connect the drive through USB, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm pretty sure it was the C: drive, it was the only drive that was used for the computer and the one that it was booting from.

USAFRet

Titan
My last 3 dead drives:

3TB WD Green. Went from seemingly perfect to dead in about 36 hours. 5 weeks old.
960GB SanDisk SSD. Went from working just fine to absolutely dead in 5 minutes. 3 years old.
14TB Toshiba Enterprise. Over the space of 5 days, went from 0 to 14,000+ bad sectors. 7 months old, awaiting replacement from Toshiba.

In all cases, my backup routine saved 100% of the data.
Warranty replaced the physical drive.

Solution