Question SSD Causing Problems

PoostaJ

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016
I left this weekend and when I came back I turned my computer on. I have my Windows 10 installed on an SSD, so when it was taking a very long time to boot I became worried. Nothing happened, so I restarted the computer. It went into endless automatic repair, which it would do every time from now on. Eventually though, after about 15 minutes of sitting it booted and I could use windows as normal. I have my C drive that is an SSD, a large HDD, and another smaller SSD installed. I saw that neither the board explorer, nor my file explorer was noticing the drive as being present. It did however recognize the drive in the device manager, and it wouldn't let me open disk management. When I tried to populate the drive through device manager, the device manager program froze on me and I had to end it in task manager. I then unplugged the secondary SSD and it worked perfectly. I swapped cables around and swapped where ports went in and the same problem happened, it took forever to boot. So the problem is that whenever my SSD is plugged in, my computer doesn't like that and it is recognized only in the device manager, not my board explorer and not in the file explorer.
CPU: i7-4790k
Motherboard: MSI PC Mate Z97
Ram: Kingston 16gb 1666Mhz
SSD/HDD: 500gb Samsung 850 EVO (OS, works), 2TB Seagate (works) 250 gb Samsung 850 EVO (does not work)
GPU: MSI 2070 Super
PSU: 750W Corsair
Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 932 Pro

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

By the looks of things the issue can be that the SSD needed a firmware update or that the OS ended up with a corruption. You should bring up the tool meant for your SSD's and check to see if you have any firmware updates pending for said SSD's. Then make sure that the BIOS for your motherboard is up to date. If you have a number of BIOS updates pending, then gradually work your way to the latest version.

I then unplugged the secondary SSD
I've seen horror threads here where people disconnected their drives/devices while the system was yet powered up. I hope you didn't do that.

PoostaJ

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

By the looks of things the issue can be that the SSD needed a firmware update or that the OS ended up with a corruption. You should bring up the tool meant for your SSD's and check to see if you have any firmware updates pending for said SSD's. Then make sure that the BIOS for your motherboard is up to date. If you have a number of BIOS updates pending, then gradually work your way to the latest version.

I then unplugged the secondary SSD
I've seen horror threads here where people disconnected their drives/devices while the system was yet powered up. I hope you didn't do that.
I updated the information. Right now I am unable to get into windows with it plugged in at all, it keeps giving me an error. I would like to try updating the BIOS last, but the SSD with my OS on it did need a firmware update. I did that, but I am unable to give my other one an update because I cannot get into windows with it plugged in.