[SOLVED] SSD - Chip off not possible?

DennisPC

Prominent
Nov 14, 2019
My SSD crashed.

Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW

It could no longer be seen by the BIOS. I sent it to "experts" (service) for recovery. They say
"Drive MCU is dead (direct short), uses encryption, Chip off not possible. Not able to recover "

I email Samsung support, and they said
"Unfortunately if you are not able to recover your data at a Data Recovery Center then there would be no other options in recovering your data. "

Am I out of luck, or is there any possibility of having it recovered?

If not, can some one explain why encryption makes Chip off not possible? (I.e. why can't I get an identical drive and swap memory chips?)

Solution

If not, can some one explain why encryption makes Chip off not possible? (I.e. why can't I get an identical drive and swap memory chips?)
Lacking any backup, you are 100% out of luck.

Without all the original parts, encryption is supposed to be impossible to recover from. That's the whole point.
Chip, encryption keys, etc, etc.

When it comes off the assembly line, the relevant chip on that drive has a particular key. There is only one of those in the world. It is absolutely unique.
A replacement chip has a different key.

USAFRet

Titan

Lacking any backup, you are 100% out of luck.

Without all the original parts, encryption is supposed to be impossible to recover from. That's the whole point.
Chip, encryption keys, etc, etc.

When it comes off the assembly line, the relevant chip on that drive has a particular key. There is only one of those in the world. It is absolutely unique.
A replacement chip has a different key.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Last year this time, I had the same situation.
Suddenly dead SSD.
1TB SanDisk, 605GB data on it.
Dead dead dead.

Put in a new 1TB drive, click click in Macrium Reflect...all 605GB recovered, exactly as it was at 4AM that morning when it ran its nightly backup.

Later, SanDisk confirmed it was dead. They gave me a new one.