SSD clarification question

superscurry

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
I am trying to purchase a new SSD. I have noticed a few things that I would like some clarification first.
1) what is the difference in 2D and 3D NAND?
2) Form factors, is there a difference? I see a normal drive looking one and a RAM looking type.

Solution

The major difference is between 2D and 3D? With 3D NAND as the cells have a little more "breathing space" there is less cell-to-cell interference.

Then there are actually two variations of 3D NAND. Examples include V-NAND from Samsung and BiCs from Toshiba both which use newer "charge trap" transistors.Companies like Intel use older "flooding gate" transistors. The practical implication is "charge trap" technology will probably mean better endurance during P/E cycles and more longevity for your data...
1> Technology that the memory cells are build. There are TLC, MLC, NAND, XPoint and probably more. Generally, it is nothing you should trouble yourself. Look at a tangible parameters like warranty length, not at underlying technology.
2> Yes, form matters. To make things more complicated, you have two look at two things: how the drive is connected (normal looking drives are connected by SATA like HDD, RAM looking types are connected through M.2 port), and what underlying protocol it uses (SATA disks use SATA protocol, but M.2 disks can be of either SATA type or PCIe type). That matters because, for example, if motherboard accepts only PCIe drives in M.2 slot, and you but SATA M.2 drive, it will not work with that slot on motherboard.

superscurry

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
this seems a little backwards IMO, but why is 2D more expensive the 3D? Is it any "better"? I intend to basically put the operating system and a game or two on the SSD.

USAFRet

Titan

Without further info on which specific drive, "2D vs 3D" is meaningless. Which way are the molecules aligned?

It matters not to thee and me.

USAFRet

Titan

2D v 3D makes no difference.

Regarding the MX500:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/crucial-shipping-full-mx500-line,36331.html
"This series joins the WD Blue 3D as the only true competitors to Samsung's 850 EVO."

Either of those drives will give you similar performance and reliability.

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017

The major difference is between 2D and 3D? With 3D NAND as the cells have a little more "breathing space" there is less cell-to-cell interference.

Then there are actually two variations of 3D NAND. Examples include V-NAND from Samsung and BiCs from Toshiba both which use newer "charge trap" transistors.Companies like Intel use older "flooding gate" transistors. The practical implication is "charge trap" technology will probably mean better endurance during P/E cycles and more longevity for your data!

http://datarecoveryireland.ie/drive-rescue-at-embedded-world-2018-nuremburg-germany/

Solution