[SOLVED] SSD Compatibility issue (M.2 Sata, M.2 NVMe)

xslabs.sai

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
Hey! I have the ASUS A320M-K PRIME motherboard (https://www.amazon.com/PRIME-A320M-...words=a320m-k&qid=1560085558&s=gateway&sr=8-1 ) , Ryzen 3 1300X. I want to know if it's compatible with WD Green M.2 SATA SSD (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B078WYRR9S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3V2EW7ECP49IZ&psc=1) which has both M Key and B Key. The Asus A320M-K has it's specs listed as follows:
STORAGE: -1x M.2 Socket 3 with M key, Type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIe 3.0 x4** and SATA modes) storage devices support.
**The PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 slot working speed (8x/16x) and the M.2 supporting vary by processors.
Thanks for the help.

Solution
Will the M.2 SSD work with my motherboard? If it doesn't, then I will get a molex to SATA power connector, but I want to preferably use an M.2 drive. The question is that will it work with the motherboard or not? Please help.
My first sentence above your post is "Yes, it is compatible. " I have said that twice in my responses.

xslabs.sai

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
That drive is a SATA mode drive. It will have the same performance as a standard 2.5in SSD. IF you want to use the M.2 slot you can. You won't get better performance than a "regular" SATA SSD.
I don't have another sata power connector in my PSU. That's why I wanted to know if it's compatible or not. Is it compatible? Can I boot Windows off it? I'm running a 10 year old WD Caviar Blue so I'm in need of an upgrade.

kanewolf

Titan
I don't have another sata power connector in my PSU. That's why I wanted to know if it's compatible or not. Is it compatible? Can I boot Windows off it? I'm running a 10 year old WD Caviar Blue so I'm in need of an upgrade.
Yes, it is compatible. If you can get a 2.5 inch and have a SATA data port, then a simple "Y" power connector will be just fine. SSD and HDD require very little power. A splitter cable will be fine if you want to save the NVMe slot for future.

xslabs.sai

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
Will the M.2 SSD work with my motherboard? If it doesn't, then I will get a molex to SATA power connector, but I want to preferably use an M.2 drive. The question is that will it work with the motherboard or not? Please help.

Last edited: