SSD Compatibility Issue

GSDenshaw

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
I have an older Compaq notebook which works well with a SATA Hard Drive running Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit operating system.

I tried installing a Sandisk Ultra II SSD but found that it is not recognized by the BIOS. I receive "Initializing and establishing link" followed by PXE-E61 Media Test Failure Check Cable and PXE-MOF Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

How is this possible ? If a SATA hard drive works, shouldn't a SATA SSD work as well ?

Ralston18

Titan
Does the SATA SSD work on any other system?

The PXE-E61...etc. message includes "Check Cable". Could be the cable broke during the disconnect/reconnect process or the new cable, if you used a new cable, coud be bad. Try a known working cable. Applies to both power and data cables.

Google the "PXE-E61....etc. error.

I did that and found quite a few links. Here is one of them for example purposes:

http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-solve-pxe-e61-media-test-failure-check-cable-error.html

Work through the suggestions therein or from other related links.

GSDenshaw

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
The SATA SSD works in a different Compaq notebook. If I remove the working hard drive and insert the SSD in its place, I receive the PXE-E61 error. If I remove the SSD and return the hard drive, the computer boots normally. The same connector is being used for both devices (only one device connected at a time).

Also, the BIOS boot options have Network Boot disabled.

Ralston18

Titan
Older computer is Win 7 - 32 bit: correct?

What OS is on the "different" Compaq?

May narrow down to finding the difference(s) between the BIOS.

To be honest I need to think about it a bit more as nothing else immediate is coming to mind.

Hopefully, someone else can offer a suggestion in the interim.

GSDenshaw

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

The other computer is running Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit. I do also have a desktop running Windows 7 Pro 32 bit from an SSD.
While this may turn out to be a BIOS issue - I don't understand why a SATA hard drive works but a SATA SSD does not ? I am wondering if the SATA connector on the motherboard may be connected to a non SATA controller, but even if that is the case, on piece of hardware (the hard drive) works while another piece of hardware (the SSD) does not. ???

Ralston18

Titan
Agree, it does not make sense. And there is quite a bit involved with it all.

Here is a forum link that popped up when I had a few minutes to look at a couple of things:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263475-32-windows-detect-shows-bios

It is an older link that with a lot of suggestions and information. Has been recently active over the last few months.

Sort of hesitated to just toss it over but felt it best to at least let you take a look and see if you spot something "down in the weeds" so to speak.

Never know.....

GSDenshaw

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

Thanks for the link. At least I know that I am not the only one having issues. I have read through the linked thread but did not find anyone talking about the same situation. They all seemd to have their SSD recognized by the BIOS but not visible in the Windows installer. Unfortunately, I cannot get that far.

The other part of my issue that is really annoying is that HP offers zero support for any product which is not running the operating system which it was shipped with. That means that the available BIOS updates are all for a different operating system ! ! ! This also means that HP offers no drivers for updated or downgraded operating systems.

I have already bricked one motherboard recently. I think I will put a larger, newer hard drive in this computer and move on.

Thanks, again for your help !