SSD Compatibility with pavilion dv6 6c65sx

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
I have hp pavilion dv6 6c65sx notebook and i want to replace my HDD with a SSD , but when i contacted hp live chat support they told me that " you can add 160-GB solid-state drive on the notebook however you need to get the connector cable is included in the Cable Kit. The notebook supports up 160 GB SSD "
and i can't understand this because many people said to me that i can use more than that but now hp tell me that i can't so who to believe ???

BTW this is my notebook information

Product number : A7P80EA

Solution
Your laptop has the Intel HM65 chipset this chipset supports any size SSD that you desire to install the chipset does not care about size and the operating system will support any size also. HP would have to write their BIOS to limit the size of the SSD used but that would likely impact the use of a HDD to the same limit as the SSD. I can’t tell you 100% that it will work but I can not see any reason why it wouldn’t. It makes no since that HP would put an artificial limit on SSD size. They put in their documentation for the product what was available at the time for them that is/was 160GB. They then tell their support team that that is the max size which really is not the case just what they had available at the time of manufacture. All...

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

that is what i thought until hp live chat support told me that , but it doesn't make any sense because my notebook isn't old so i don't know why they said that and i don't know how to make sure of that.

They are probley telling you that size because that is the largest size they sell or sold. You should be able to use any size SSD no cable needed (not sure what cable they are talking about ). It will install just like an HDD. and your currnet HDD is 750GB. This is the same as if you were to install 1TB HDD to replace your 750GB HDD

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

thanks man , good to hear that , but is there any chance that i might purchase a 512 GB SSD and it doesn't work ? because I'm really confused and afraid to bought one and didn't work for me so is there any way to make sure that 512GB will work and identified without any problem ?

Your laptop has the Intel HM65 chipset this chipset supports any size SSD that you desire to install the chipset does not care about size and the operating system will support any size also. HP would have to write their BIOS to limit the size of the SSD used but that would likely impact the use of a HDD to the same limit as the SSD. I can’t tell you 100% that it will work but I can not see any reason why it wouldn’t. It makes no since that HP would put an artificial limit on SSD size. They put in their documentation for the product what was available at the time for them that is/was 160GB. They then tell their support team that that is the max size which really is not the case just what they had available at the time of manufacture. All you can really do is take a chance and but the 512GB SSD and see if it works return it if it does not. If I was making this upgrade I wouldn’t hesitate buying the 512GB disk I am that confidant that it will work. I wouldn’t have even have thought it wouldn’t work. I will assume that the BIOS will treat the SSD just as it would an HDD.

Solution

memoooo500

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

thanks navalweaponsoffice , its very good things i didn't know that much about my notebook and its chipsets , but couldn't i be able to know if they write on the bios or not ? or does you know any one that has any notebook from the same series and got SSD with big size and works with him fine?

I know of no one who has put a 512GB SSD into their HP Laptop and cant find anything online of someone doing that (but it is not something you would post about). There is nothing else I can really tell you to convince you that the odds of this not working are slim to none. on the service guide for that computer it states that it cannot accept a HDD smaller than 320GB but it then contradicts its self by stating that it can use a 160 GB SSD. I have no doubt that this 160 SSD was an available configuration for your laptop so that is all the documentation states as working with it. this happens with computer electronics stuff all of the time. they write the upgradability to whatever is the best available at that time but their larger successors will also work. this has happened with documentation for the size of SD card something says it can use. an item will say that It can use a 16gb SD card but hay a 32gb card comes out same standard ill try it. Shure enough it works. I am 99.9% sure that if you install the 512GB SSD it will work just fine.

hunterc12

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
Hello! I'm posting here, because someone said they didn't heard anyone post about it...
I have a HP Pavillon DV6z-7000 CTO AMD APU A10-4600m Trinity 8GB 1600MHZ DDR3. Cames with a 750GB 7200rpm Seagate. USB 3.0....etc its Pretty new, and cause of chipset spects... should support everything today.

Yesterday I bought a brand New Crucial MX100 512GB SSD

I can't get the BIOS recognize IT!!
Just no hard drive detected. I connected to a Desktop PC and it's working perfect.
I have the latest BIOS, everything updated.
I been searching and researching for 2 days, HP has no info... Crucial neither, no firmware update still.

So My ONLY idea is that the CRA-ppy Bios "Insyde f.23" is the guilty...
It has no Options... just date, and boot order... NOTHING ELSE, it has almost no options... And I Think HP Limit the capabilities.
I read about moddified BIOS, that they indeed unlock some called "Whitelists", are like "products accepted" like "Only the SSDs I want you to buy!..."

I did a lot of tests today with no luck! Tomorrow i will try with others SSD of friends, other brands and smaller...
I think that with a 256 or 128, could work... If they do... WHAT I DO!!?
I want THIS Drive... I think I'll have to change my laptop, or give up and change (sell mine) MX100 and buy other less effective! (Something I really hate, because i decided to buy this one, after reading lots of reviews... to end un up buying something else...)

Just very Dissapointed and Angry with HP right Now!