Question ssd compatibility

Jan 24, 2020
I have the Asus Vivobook s15 x510U (motherboard model: X510UNR) It's i5 8th gen. I tried the WD Blue m.2 SSD 2280 240GB with the laptop, unfortunately, when I switched on the laptop, the m.2 SSD became so hot that I pulled it out.
The engineer said that the m.2 SSD could have been burned if you didn't pull it out. I don't know if it's true or not.
I don't know if it's normal but the hardware engineer said that not many m.2 SSD(s) are compatible with this laptop. I just want to upgrade the laptop. But not so sure which m.2 SSD to buy?
These are all m.2 SSD: I have Transcend MTS820S, HP S700, and Crucial MX500 as an option.
Please help me to choose from.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020
I upgraded my laptop from a 5400rpm hdd to a crucial MX 500 and it runs fine.

If for some reason the mx500 heats up something else is going on.

I would also suggest you get a 500 gb or larger ssd. 240 will fill up very fast.
Sorry, I forgot to mention. I have a 1TB HDD already installed. I was talking about 'm.2 SSD' and 240GB of m.2 SSD will be enough.

How hot was it? The usual temperatures vary between 40°C in idle and up to 80°C, while under load. So it will get very hot, but wouldn´t burn if it´s a usually non faulty SSD.

Your laptop only supports SATA M.2 drives and not NVME PCIe M.2 drives. That´s the only thing you have to look for.

The Crucial MX500 M.2 SATA would be my favorite of this list.

Jan 24, 2020
How hot was it? The usual temperatures vary between 40°C in idle and up to 80°C, while under load. So it will get very hot, but wouldn´t burn if it´s a usually non faulty SSD.

Your laptop only supports SATA M.2 drives and not NVME PCIe M.2 drives. That´s the only thing you have to look for.

The Crucial MX500 M.2 SATA would be my favorite of this list.
I just pressed the button to switch on the laptop and in a matter of 2-3 seconds, the SSD became very hot. Then I pulled it out. It may be faulty.
But the engineer said that he had seen a number of SSD starts to burn as soon as the laptop is on. I don't know how much truth he is telling.
Yes, M.2 is the only port I have.
The caveat here is that the shopkeeper is not willing to take the risk of losing the ssd before selling and I don't want to waste money if by any chance the ssd is burned.
I have fortunately returned the WD SSD to the amazon but the Crucial MX 500 is a non-returnable item

Last edited: