SSD Compatible With HP Omen?

Koolstr

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
NewEgg is having a sale where an M.2 512GB SSD is super cheap (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0D9-0006-000G4 - Am I right that this is a good deal?). As far as I can tell, it would fit in my HP Omen 15-5210nr laptop.

But the interface listed on my laptop is mSATA, while the product is listed as SATA III. Is there a difference between the two, and would the SATA III SSD fit perfectly fine in my laptop? Also, is there any performance difference between the two?

I would like to make the upgrade to my laptop from a 256GB to 512GB SSD but I am not sure if this product is compatible. Can anybody help me?

Lastly, as a side question: What do you recommend is the easiest/quickest/best way to make a carbon copy of my current partition onto the 512GB SSD? I'd much rather not have to re-set up my entire PC. Moving the entire OS install would be so much better.

Thanks for your help.

Solution
The x400 is not cheap once you realize it is just a sata drive in m.2 form. In fact its $5 more expensive then the exact same drive in 2.5" form.

Also an m.2 drive is a different form factor then mSata but from a little digging I find that your laptop does have an m2.s port in 2280 form. I did not see if that m.2 support nvme (with 4 pcie3 lanes preferred) for the super speeds.

popatim

Titan
The x400 is not cheap once you realize it is just a sata drive in m.2 form. In fact its $5 more expensive then the exact same drive in 2.5" form.

Also an m.2 drive is a different form factor then mSata but from a little digging I find that your laptop does have an m2.s port in 2280 form. I did not see if that m.2 support nvme (with 4 pcie3 lanes preferred) for the super speeds.

Solution

Koolstr

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

So essentially, you're saying that this exact product would not fit, and isn't a good deal anyway. Looks like they offer a M.2 2280 of 1TB for $254, but that's too much for me. (Side question: What's wrong with it being just a sata drive? As compared to what? It says it's an SSD... o.0)

So what would you recommend getting, as a replacement drive for my Omen that would retain the speeds the original drive had? I searched and can't really find a proper drive that I can find deals on.

Thanks for your help. :D