SSD continually drops to 0 bytes/s

Kainev

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Hi,

My Samsung 1TB 850 EVO SSD continually drops to 0 bytes/s when copying to and from the drive. I've tested the drive in another computer and it worked fine. I just updated my bios and drivers but no change, I've also tried all the other sata ports. My main boot drive is a 256GB M.2 Samsung 950 Pro SSD, which works fine.

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte X99 SOC-FORCE
CPU: Intel Extreme i7 5960x
RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance 2133
GPU: GeForce 980Ti

Thanks!

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
You've updated Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) as well as the motherboard chipset driver?

Try booting to a Linux live USB - e.g. Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Try copying files between the same drives as before. If it's still slow, you know it's not an OS issue, but it must be hardware. But if it's not slow, then you know it's something wrong with Windows.

Also, try putting the SSD into a USB enclosure and copying the same files. That way, you're eliminating SATA from the equation and testing every other part of the drive and the computer.* See if the problem persists. If the problem persists, you know it's something other than SATA-related hardware or software. But if the problem ceases, then you know it's something wrong with SATA hardware or SATA-related software.

(USB will tend to be slower than SATA, but USB should still be more than 0 b/s.)

* Well, technically, the drive itself will still be using SATA. But as far as the computer will be concerned, you'll be using USB, not SATA. So at least you eliminate the computer's SATA from the equation. Obviously the drive itself will necessarily always use SATA.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
Also, in Device Manager, right click the drive, choose Properties, then the Policies tab, and make sure that "Enable write caching on this device" is checked.

And go into your BIOS and make sure your SATA is on AHCI mode and not legacy IDE mode.

Kainev

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Yeah I've updated those drivers. I have done a clean install of windows and the problem persists however I could still try booting Linux when I get a chance.

Both write caching and AHCI are set.