Question SSD Corrupted after accidental Sleep Mode removal

Sep 5, 2020
So a long list of things lead to this problem. I cloned my win 7 ult. drive so my girlfriend could play games without getting a virus from shady game mod sites resulting in me losing all my files. I went to swap my original SSD back in to the PC, unplugged, and held power button to drain residual power.

Swapped and closed everything back up, turned the power back on and the screen flashed her windows desktop, then immediately BSOD flashed and system rebooted and then flashes an error code after the windows logo.

Apparently she put the PC in sleep mode instead of turning it off, and the USB 3.0 ports her new gaming keyboard and mouse were plugged into do not have power to wake the system, so I though it was off.

Equally strange, is why did the ram cache not clear when I unplugged and held down the power button? I mean the whole swap took less than a minute but that should be instant?

Now putting her drive back in, along with other drives, works fine. Bios is fine.

When I put my drive back in the problem remains, safe mode does not work, nor does use last known good config.

I used a recovery disk, and used auto repair, said it detected problems and would fix them automatically. Says completed and needs to restart. Still the same problem, if i let it fix it and then go right back into recovery it shows my drive and UNKNOWN instead of windows 7 and further steps could not complete due to drive corruption.

I opened up the command prompt and I used bootrec to scan the OS, says 0, used the attrib to modify bcd, renamed, rebuilt it, then it shows 1 OS available. used fixmbr & fixboot, rebooted, same problem.

I scanned the OS again in bootrec and once again said 0. I repeated the process and everything once again completed successfully, but this time before restarting again I scanned for OS again, back to showing 0. After rebuilding the bcd successfully, the problem simply returns the very next command?!

Checked to make sure the partition was active, it was.

At this point I have no idea what's going on, I was able to boot from another drive and access my files to at least get everything off, everything seems in tact.

I'm hoping I can fix this rather than simply clone her drive back to mine, so I don't lose my huge program library that I removed from her gaming drive to streamline things, and all my custom configurations.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You're always advised to reinstall the OS from scratch when you drop in a new storage device or when you change platforms. Cloning drives will only lead to hair pulling(or maybe worse, no hair at all).

Sep 5, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You're always advised to reinstall the OS from scratch when you drop in a new storage device or when you change platforms. Cloning drives will only lead to hair pulling(or maybe worse, no hair at all).
Cloning wasn't the issue here. Everything worked fine previously and I've never had any issues cloning to identical SSDs with clonezilla.