SSD Crashed... Any ways to recover data?

r3faat1

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hello everyone,

I have an SSD (PNY XLR8 - CS2211 - 256 GB). Out of no where, my desktop stopped booting, it could detect the drive in BIOS but could not boot to windows. So, I hooked it up as a portable hard drive thing, and it IS being detected. CrystalDiskInfo shows the drive as "Good". However... it says the drive is 2 Mb. Windows can't mount it; when I try to initialize it, it says "data error (cyclic redundancy check)". I tried data recovery software such as "GetDataBack". It detects the drive as "Disk2", however, once again, it sees the SSD as 2 Mb. When I run the program to get data back, it says I/O error.

Is there anything I can do at this point? I had few important files and would like to try and recover them.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
SSD data recovery normally ends up costing more than a regular spinning HDD. It really depends on how bad it is. Most of the time when I've seen it switching the drive to a fresh sata cable and a sata power connector that isn't the original one normally works 70% of the time. I know you said you tried usb but those are normally flaky and inconsistent for recovery. If the new cable doesn't work, make a gparted live boot cd or usb and boot your computer into with the drive attached to the new cable and see if anything looks different when looking at the partitions/drives. You can also use disk part from the windows installed through CMD. But Gparted I think is a lot more consistent. Also here is the warranty info for your drive http://www.pny.com/File%20Library/Support/PNY%20Products/Warranties/Solid%20State%20Drives/Solid-State-Drive-Warranty.pdf

Also I've had success doing recovery where the OS won't see the drive of its real size or any other programs but I've ran Acronis true image and cloned drives before with 100% of the data being there. Kind of getto recovery and sometimes it can take a long time.

r3faat1

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hello, thank you for your help. I've tried what you've mentioned. I tried new SATA cable/power cable, I booted up the drive and when trying to go into Windows 10, windows 10 does not load. It gets stuck on loading screen. I then tried a live linux disk, which got me into the OS. I've tried gpart, it detected the drive, and found the drive as 2mb. Could not mount or anything though.

The only thing I did not try is making a full backup of it. I can't login to Windows with that drive plugged in, do you think I can use a live cd with clonezilla or something to back it up? I'll give it a try when I get home.

r3faat1

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
no matter what I've tried, it still shows as 2 mb. I've tried several recovery software, all detects the drive as 2 mb. I've been in contact with PNY, and they pointed out to a recovery software, however, same thing, 2 mb. Their only other solution is send the SSD in and do an advanced repair.

1. At this point, anyone has any suggestions at all? Is Advanced Repair my ONLY solution?

How can this happen? How does an SSD just die like that. The Data was not erased or anything I believe, It's all still there, I just have no idea how to access them.

2. Could any of my parts have caused this? Like maybe accidental over voltage from the PSU or something? But I'm using TPD-0750M so I doubt it. It seems to be rated really well. Basically, if my system caused it, I want to make sure I don't cause it again.