SSD Creating sound issues?!

03swatts3139

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
My friend recently upgraded his old WD Green drive to a Kingston SSDNow V300 2.5" 120GB. He did a clean install of Windows 10, installed all updates, drivers ect... as you should do. But, ever since he's moved over, he keeps having sound issues where the sound just sounds.. terrible. It jitters and stuff... quite hard to explain. This is all while using a Logitech G35 headset and he has to plug it in and out to fix the problem. Sometimes only a reboot will.... We figured it's just the headset as it had been like this for weeks now.

But, saying that... over the past few days of recently upgrading my system with the same SSD from a different vendor, I've noticed these problems too... I was thinking perhaps it could be just Windows 10, but we both had been using it fine for months before. Each copy from a different place too... My headset is also different from his, I have the G930 wireless version.

Any ideas?

UPDATE:

My sound will be fine when I turn on my pc and it will slowly start to degrade over the course of hours or minutes. It starts to cut in and out very quickly, like a jittering sound. In example, I'll have Facebook and youtube open in separate tabs. If Facebook makes a noise, it makes the whole sound extremely jittery and laggy up until the sound has completely stopped playing. It will then continue to jitter on a minor level, ever so increasing and increasing to the point where it's unbearable. Sometimes I can have no applications open and it will start to go 'bad' again.

Sometimes I'll be watching a Youtube video and all of a sudden, the sound will stop and a white circle will be spinning over the youtube video. It's like a giant sized buffering spinning wheel but the video will continue to play without sound. After so long the video will freeze... If i then pull out my USB dongle or Right-click -> disable sound adapter will it continue to play. (without sound ofcause)

It's so random as to what triggers it.. I don't know how to fix this :(

arossetti

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I have experienced similar issues. Usually in games and background music - not the FX. The sound would seem to stutter or fade - often in conjunction with SSD activity. It could be EMI or crosstalk. Try plugging the USB headset into a different USB hub.

Also, it could be different audio software mixers/volume settings fighting each other. I had two different volume controls - one on my keyboard and one on my headset. Unless I kept the volume at 100% on the keyboard and controlled the volume level through my headset, I had the stuttering issue.

Also make sure you have the appropriate default devices selected in the playback devices.

03swatts3139

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Arossetti,
Thanks for taking your time to answer me. We've both tried plenty of different USB ports including 3.0 & 2.0, hence why only a full reboot will fix it sometimes. I know it's not EMI as I've experienced/heard what EMI does. I do have 2 individual volume controls as you do.. I will test that theory to see if it is my source of the problem.

I do have it selected as default, it's my only output too.

UPDATE: I can confirm that the two individual volume controls play no part in the problem i'm facing. Another way to 'fix' it is to pull out my wireless dongle for my headset and put it back in again. But I know that my headset isn't the cause because me and my friend have different headsets yet get the same problem.

TRENDING THREADS