SSD: Crucial M500 256gb vs Samsung 840 Pro 256gb

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Hi,

I'm looking at adding storage to my current PC. I already have a 500gb Seagate hard disk but it only has about 40gb remaining, rather than buy a 1tb disk, I figured I'd finally make the transition to a SSD + HDD setup without having to fork out more for extra mechanical storage.

I'd like to have the absolute max speed available to me but I wanted to know, is there a noticeable difference in speed when it comes to using SSD's for general desktop use and some gaming (that is between Crucial M500 and Samsung 840 Pro).

I've also looked at the Samsung 840 evo but it's sitting dead centre in terms of price so is I'd like to ask: Is the extra £50-60 worth it to get a Samsung 840 Pro over a Crucial M500?

(I'd also be interested in any other suggestions as to good choices of SSD to consider).

Thanks for the support, have a good day.

Solution
There is, I'm running a m500 240gb and a friend has a samsung EVO. He is able to load BF4 maps about 5 seconds faster than me.

The big thing is just to get a SSD as the difference is massive, my boot times went from minutes to when I could actually start using programs to now 10 seconds or so. Once you get a SSD the difference comes down to seconds between them, and for just everyday use the difference is even less.

Most important thing to look at would be reliability. Samsung and crucial have good track records. Try to avoid ultra cheap ones.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html
There is, I'm running a m500 240gb and a friend has a samsung EVO. He is able to load BF4 maps about 5 seconds faster than me.

The big thing is just to get a SSD as the difference is massive, my boot times went from minutes to when I could actually start using programs to now 10 seconds or so. Once you get a SSD the difference comes down to seconds between them, and for just everyday use the difference is even less.

Most important thing to look at would be reliability. Samsung and crucial have good track records. Try to avoid ultra cheap ones.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html

Solution

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
@Woltej1 Thanks for that input, does thst 5 second time difference apply to all other sectors of computer use as well? Such as regular browsing and such.

Already I'm swaying towards the 840 pro, but the interesting prospect that the evo offers is the RAPID storage it has which I've heard both positive and negative things about.

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Actually, programs installed on the SSD would boot up much much quicker. Like Chrome, Firefox, basically all of the programs you install on there. Less wait time

I was comparing the difference in time between the m500 and Pro, not between SSD and HDD.

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
I can see where you both are coming from, I was also reading that the M500 has Power Loss Protection, which, as you can guess, means it doesn't go crazy as soon as it loses its power.

Do you guys know what the current state is like for other SSD's in terms of how they handle power loss.
I'm always overclocking trying to squeeze more juice from what I've got and an SSD that can't handle sudden shut downs won't be helpful.

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Would just like to add that I saw the OCZ Vector (refubished) drive at Scan for £120.

As a drive that's offering speeds of an 840 pro, at a price point £35 less which was built around reliability, my options have now been changed to Vector vs M500. I'm still undecided but I'll most likely go with the Vector just due to the speed that it offers.

(Hoping this thread can be helpful to others even if I receive no responses).

You gotta do a decent amount of research if you want to get picky with SSDs as a lot of them use a controller called sandforce and some use their own proprietary controller. I went with crucial because they make all the parts themselves, controller and memory. Samsung also has their own.

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Well, most of the issues with Sandforce have been ironed out since they were first introduced and now most SSD's are fine with them (namely the Sandisk Extreme drives I believe). Earlier models such as the Corsair Force series suffered from them but now they're gernally okay.
I know all of Crucial's NAND chips are manufactured by Micron.

The Vector was actually the first to be manufactured completely in-house using their Barefoot 3 controller so - first time for OCZ doing similar things to what Samsung and Crucial are doing, also seen as they come with 5 year warranties (when bought new), that's some peace of mind.