[SOLVED] SSD Crucial mx 500 250 gb health dropping

rexop5

Reputable
Dec 6, 2018
Hello,i purchased this SSD this past July 2019 and every1.5 months its dropping its health by 1%.However i did my own research a little bi here on forum but i didnt understand a single thing.Should i be concered about its health?Ive never had problem disks in the past.

Total written data is almost 3 TB.

idk if this pic helps http://prntscr.com/r3aji8

thx in advance for any help

Solution
I agree with the overly terse moderator: your ssd is doing well. The ratio of the F8 value to the F7 value is reasonably small, about 2, implying the Write Amplification isn't going wild (as it did on my Crucial MX500 500GB ssd until I recently figured out how to tame it by running ssd selftests nearly nonstop).

The Power Cycle Count of 360 implies you turn off your pc about twice a day. During my experiments I found that turning it off, even briefly, helped keep the write amplification (relatively) low for many hours, so I advise you to keep doing what you've been doing (all else being equal). At the current rate of decrease of Remaining Life, your ssd is on a pace to endure for over 10 years.

Mine was on a pace to exhaust...

Lucretia19

Reputable
Feb 5, 2020
I agree with the overly terse moderator: your ssd is doing well. The ratio of the F8 value to the F7 value is reasonably small, about 2, implying the Write Amplification isn't going wild (as it did on my Crucial MX500 500GB ssd until I recently figured out how to tame it by running ssd selftests nearly nonstop).

The Power Cycle Count of 360 implies you turn off your pc about twice a day. During my experiments I found that turning it off, even briefly, helped keep the write amplification (relatively) low for many hours, so I advise you to keep doing what you've been doing (all else being equal). At the current rate of decrease of Remaining Life, your ssd is on a pace to endure for over 10 years.

Mine was on a pace to exhaust itself in about a year -- write amplification was averaging about 50 from late December until a few days ago. By running ssd selftests nearly non-stop, write amplification is now averaging about 2.5. My theory is that Crucial's Static Wear Leveling algorithm, which runs while the ssd is "idle," is far too aggressive at maximizing equality of block wear, causing the ssd to write many more blocks than necessary. Paradoxically, the less the pc wrote to the ssd, the more the ssd wrote to its NAND memory. To my mind, that's a buggy algorithm. I presume the selftests reduce the amount of time that the Static Wear Leveling process gets to run, so the ssd doesn't write as much to NAND.

The only performance penalty caused by the selftests seems to be the ssd's extra power consumption; it runs about 5 degrees C warmer (but still acceptable 40C) and doesn't transition to low power state while selftest is running. My rough guess is that selftest consumes about a watt of extra electricity. I haven't yet measured whether read/write speed is affected by selftest, but my understanding is that selftest is a low priority background process that suspends temporarily whenever the host pc tries to read or write, so I expect read/write speed isn't harmed significantly. It's possible the selftests actually increase read/write speed, because the ssd doesn't need to transition out of low power state.

Solution