SSD Cycle Count

qzmpal

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Hi Experts,
I'm planning to buy a SSD. ( preferably a Enterprise SSD)
I want to practice and take the VMWare certification. I want to put this SSD in my laptop, since it gives me mobility and I can practice while at school as well. My Plan is to move this SSD into a Xeon based desktop in the future.

I have a T410 and the Thinkpad Power management software shows me how many cycles are used on my battery. - Thereby giving me a clear idea on how the battery is going to perform over the course of time. ( 346 cycles for past 12+ months. ) and the First used Date, etc.

So my doubt here is ..

(1). Is there any software for a SSD, which gives me all the details like the way I get for my battery. The reason I'm asking this question is, I'm a student and I can't afford nearly $1000 for a 960GB or 1TB SSD,

(2). Typically how many cycles count will be there on the SSD, Brand new sealed?
Will it be Zero - times powered on or will it have some count on it? - may be the company tests it before it ships out to consumers or Enterprise Users.

So, I'm looking at buying a SSD on Ebay. So I want to make sure that I buy the correct SSD. Sorry, I know when I'm talking about Enterprise SSD, I should not think about money. but right now, I'don't have any other option. I need to pay my school fees as well myself.

Thanks a lot for Your suggestions and extremely Sorry for my ignorance. I tried my best to give You a better picture of my situation.

Thank You for Your Time, effort and Patience. I highly appreciate that.
God Bless.

Solution
Steer clear of ebay for any kind of storage media, stick to the main suppliers.
You don't need an enterprise drive, these are simply capable of taking more read/write operations on the cells. A normal desktop SSD will be more than capable enough. I'm still using drives I got 5 years ago.
Crystal Disk Info is a tool which will give you info on most drives attached to your system including cycle information (how many times the drive has been powered up).

pauls3743

Distinguished
Steer clear of ebay for any kind of storage media, stick to the main suppliers.
You don't need an enterprise drive, these are simply capable of taking more read/write operations on the cells. A normal desktop SSD will be more than capable enough. I'm still using drives I got 5 years ago.
Crystal Disk Info is a tool which will give you info on most drives attached to your system including cycle information (how many times the drive has been powered up).

Solution

qzmpal

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Thanks a lot for the very useful suggestions.
1. I did not know that Enterprise SSDs and regular SSDs have the performance difference in a Desktop and Server. I thought, since I'm going to use the SSD for Vmware installations, i thought, I should go for Enterprise SSDs.

2. As suggested by experts, I will keep off Ebay. Since I can get a regular SSD, I can go to amazon for a better price. Can I do that?

3. Any SSDs, that You may suggest for me, - preferably better value for the money, since You know my primary requirement for the next 3-4 Months. Then it will be used as a regular drive.

Really very helpful suggestions for a novice like me.

Thank You all.

qzmpal

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Thanks a lot. Both 840 and 850 have very good reviews on amazon. 850 is a bit new. But 840 has a ton of reviews.

My last question is, if I buy a Brand new SSD from amazon, and After I get the SSD, I put it and do a fresh install of OS and when I install the Crystaldiskinfo, will it show the Drive is powered up less than 4-5 times or Samsung Powers up the Device performs a few tests, before it ships out the item?

I'm not sure. Thanks a lot for Your suggestions. I highly appreciate that.

USAFRet

Titan

This from my 3 week old(?) 840 EVO drive:
uqFNr42.png

Power On = 17 times

I'm putting another one in in the next day or two, so I can tell definitively what it shows on initial power up.

qzmpal

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Dude You are awesome. I was exactly looking for this.
Thanks a lot for that.
Please share the photo/screenshot of the new drive. It will be a lot more helpful for others as well.
Frankly, this forum is awesome.
I got answers to all of my questions in less than 2 hours.
Thanks a ton all for Your valuable suggestions.