[SOLVED] SSD Data Recovery on Dead Laptop

Dec 9, 2020
After eight long years, my MSI GT-70 Laptop finally died...it just outright refused to power on. I tried all of the basic troubleshooting (remove/replace the battery pack, plugged in and started with power cord only, etc) and I think it just may be dead for good.

I was able to removed the HD and it plugs into my Desktop just fine, but is there a way that I could pull out the SSDs and get the data off of those? I had a lot of stuff saved on there I kinda need access to.

Is there a way I could resurrect my laptop? If not, is there a way I could retrieve the data from my SSDs?

Laptop runs Windows 7 and Desktop runs Windows 10, if that makes a difference.

After eight long years, my MSI GT-70 Laptop finally died...it just outright refused to power on. I tried all of the basic troubleshooting (remove/replace the battery pack, plugged in and started with power cord only, etc) and I think it just may be dead for good.

I was able to removed the HD and it plugs into my Desktop just fine, but is there a way that I could pull out the SSDs and get the data off of those? I had a lot of stuff saved on there I kinda need access to.

Is there a way I could resurrect my laptop? If not, is there a way I could retrieve the data from my SSDs?

Laptop runs Windows 7 and Desktop runs Windows 10, if that makes a difference.
If they work, 2.5" SSD s plug in same as HDDs and you can use them and copy stuff from them exactly same way.
Or you could use a SATA to USB adapter.

Dec 9, 2020
If they work, 2.5" SSD s plug in same as HDDs and you can use them and copy stuff from them exactly same way.
Or you could use a SATA to USB adapter.
I did end up getting an adapter; I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GSTBXRA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I connected the mSSDs and it reads it but won't let me copy anything for some reason....the advanced settings in the program that came with the device allow me to select RAID 0 and 1 for each drive, but the manual says it will erase the data if I create RAID. It shows me the drives are there but what do I do to get the information off them without wiping the data?

Dec 9, 2020
You do not need nor want a "RAID" adapter. You bought the wrong thing.

What is the exact type of drive?
mSATA, 2.5" SATA, other...
I tried posting a photo of it, but for some reason it wouldn't let me. I posted the images when I asked the question in a different forum here: https://pchelpforum.net/t/ssd-data-recovery-on-dead-laptop.59487/

The exact thing written on the drives are SDSA5DK-064G 54-90-20801-064G

Any guidance would be helpful; I can't seem to find a way to transfer the data to my PC from these drives, even though I have everything connected properly.

Dec 9, 2020
ahhh okay....that one looks like the one I got except it only holds one mSSD at a time. Interesting. I'll order it and return the other one.

Does it matter that my current PC runs Windows 10 and my mSSDs ran Windows 7?

USAFRet

Titan
ahhh okay....that one looks like the one I got except it only holds one mSSD at a time. Interesting. I'll order it and return the other one.

Does it matter that my current PC runs Windows 10 and my mSSDs ran Windows 7?
The one you bought wants to force things to be a RAID array.

For the OS...as long as you're not trying to boot from this mSATA drive, the only problem might be permissions on the data in it.
That comes into play if the data exists in the /User/ Libraries. Documents/Pictures/etc.

Access it as a secondary drive, and if necessary, look into TakeOwnership.