[SOLVED] SSD died, can I recover my documents & Windows OS?

Brandon Lawhorn

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I went to turn on my old build a few weeks back and it only starts up to the BIOS. I took out and connected my SSD to my new build and I'm not able to access any files. I'm guessing it died unfortunately. It's a Samsung 840 EVO and I had Windows installed on it as well. Is there a way I can transfer everything over to a new SSD and simply plug it back into my old rig to get it back up and running? Or what would be the best fix for this issue? Thanks for any suggestions!

Solution
Depending on the exact wording may be a permissions error, althouh this is less likely since the drive stopped working in the other pc.

If its permissions related

It gives you that error since you don't have the permission to access the drive

You need to take ownership of the contents of the drive.
If you right click on the drive and go through the security tab to take ownership of the drive it will show up.

If the error is not permisdions related, show use a screenshot of disk management in windows. Could also run cristal disk info.

Brandon Lawhorn

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
If an ssd is truely dead, data recovery is not easy. Send it to professionals.

But ensure its dead first. Do you see the drive in bios?
I don't have it plugged in right now unfortunately, however when I did I didn't load BIOS to see. I only looked on "My PC" and saw that it recognized the SSD, though when I clicked on it I was told it couldn't be accessed. I forget what it said verbatim, I'm sorry.

USAFRet

Titan
I went to turn on my old build a few weeks back and it only starts up to the BIOS. I took out and connected my SSD to my new build and I'm not able to access any files. I'm guessing it died unfortunately. It's a Samsung 840 EVO and I had Windows installed on it as well. Is there a way I can transfer everything over to a new SSD and simply plug it back into my old rig to get it back up and running? Or what would be the best fix for this issue? Thanks for any suggestions!
If it truly can't be accessed in multiple systems, it is gone.

When you connected it to the second system, "and I'm not able to access any files"....does the actual drive appear in any way?

Depending on the exact wording may be a permissions error, althouh this is less likely since the drive stopped working in the other pc.

If its permissions related

It gives you that error since you don't have the permission to access the drive

If you right click on the drive and go through the security tab to take ownership of the drive it will show up.

If the error is not permisdions related, show use a screenshot of disk management in windows. Could also run cristal disk info.

Solution

Brandon Lawhorn

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Ah kt may be a permissions error. If so:

It gives you that error since you don't have the permission to access it.

If not, shoe use a screenshot of disk mag
Management in windows.
Interesting, I will definitely try that and cross my fingers! Any idea of why Windows wouldn't load on my old build by chance? While in BIOS on my old rig, the SSD wasn't located in my boot order and I couldn't add it either, though it still came up when I looked under what drives were connected. I thought that was strange.

rforce

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Quite frequently with SSDs, particularly with this model of Samsung, the firmware gets damaged due to bad NAND cells where the firmware is stored. While SSDs are very complicated for data recovery professionals to recover, there are many cases where we are able to get the data recovered. A reasonable price range for SSD recoveries is between $500 and $750 USD.