Question SSD Died; Now data gone forever

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My Samsung EVO 850 Pro gave up the ghost. Unlike spinning rust platters my data is now lost and gone forever. Yes I have backups but for some reason they won't load. So why don't any of the pundits who swoon over SSDs mentioning this little feature?

Blackink

Distinguished
I guess I'm more curious as to what software you used to backup your OS/SSD?
Even SSD's will die eventually.....

If you didn't use this software before for your back ups, you should try it next time when you do get a new SSD up and running.: Macrium Reflect

USAFRet

Titan
My Samsung EVO 850 Pro gave up the ghost. Unlike spinning rust platters my data is now lost and gone forever. Yes I have backups but for some reason they won't load. So why don't any of the pundits who swoon over SSDs mentioning this little feature?
SSD's, being electronic devices, are not immune to dying. Just like spinning drives, or anything else.
I've had more spinning drives die, both absolute numbers and percentage , than SDD over the last few years.

I had one of my SSD's die a couple of days before christmas. 960GB SanDisk. Yes, it happens.
But an automated tested backup routine let me recover the entire 605GB of data, exactly as it was at 4AM that morning.

What have you been using for your backups, and did you test the procedure at any point?

A few years back, I was working on my younger brother's old pawn-shop find, an Athlon XP3000 laptop (estimate 2004-2005 era?)with an external power adapter brick the size of a child's shoebox; after finally figuring out what all hardware was installed, getting all needed HP drivers and reinstalling WinXP, I did one last bootup to test the results of my efforts and was greeted with the joyous sound of shrieking/buzzing, metal on metal contact...; hoped it was just fan bearing, etc., but...nope, full head crash, grinding metal, not one chance of ever booting again afterward... (3 nights of ~5 hours each effort to revive a $80 pawnshop laptop, down the drain!)

Full tested backups are the way to go, as mentioned....

Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image each make this borderline child's play....but you definitely want to practice a restore at least once, a laptop drive works great for this.... (I use Clonezilla, which at only 3-4 color text menu based, is not pretty and lacks a mouse/GUI, but, ....it works!)

When SSD's fail, it is very often an 'all or nothing' affair....

(Is the Easeus Data Recovery reference to a past event regarding a spinning drive, or current/recent event regarding your backups? Are you backups still unusable, or are you back up and running..?)

TRENDING THREADS