FearTheHump

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hi guys. I've found myself in a bit of a dilemma, and I'm really at quite a loss on what to do right now. I don't really know where to start, so I guess I'll just put it down straight.

Around 6 months ago I purchased all of the components to build a new system, including an OCZ Agility 3 SSD, and a standard 2TB hard drive. I installed Windows on the SSD (C:/), and did some stuff to basically move my users folder (and a few other things, e.g. the page file) over to the HDD (D:/). Basically all applications were installed on the SSD. All was working fine until a few weeks ago when I booted up the PC to find an error before loading Windows. I did some troubleshooting and deduced that the SSD was fried.

I decided that rather than wait for the SSD to come back from warranty replacement, I'd just attempt to reinstall windows on a new partition on my HDD, in hopes that I could just flash it all over to the SSD when it finally arrives. Well, I've just installed windows and some basic drivers onto this new, SSD-sized partition, and now I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Is there any way I can direct the new installation of Windows to my old user folder/application settings/etc., or will I need to repeat the process from last time and move everything over manually?

As to the method I used to move my users folder over to the HDD, I can't exactly remember what I did. All I can recall is going through the registry and changing a lot of C:/ entries to D:/. Don't know how helpful that's going to be.

Sorry for the long post, but I really hope someone can help me out here :S. Thanks!

tomatthe

Distinguished
I wouldn't bother trying to fix all of those links since you will be reinstalling Windows again once you get your ssd replacement back. You are much better off doing a clean Windows install once you get the replacement back rather then trying to move the install over from your hd.

If you really must get the user folders re-setup I've always right clicked on the ones I want to relocate which is generally music, videos, docs, pictures and select properties. In those options you can set the location you want it to refer to.

tomatthe

Distinguished
Well if you do that, you would also need to make all the changes that Windows handles automatically when installing to an SSD to get the full benefits of having an ssd. Things like trim will not be enabled and probably a few other items will not be setup correctly. Depending on how you captured the image you would also need to setup the boot record on the ssd unless the imaging software did this for you which imagex/dism does not.

People always seem to want to move Windows installs rather then starting with a clean one which is just always the wrong way to go about things imo. Just an opinion though, so go with what you feel most comfortable with i suppose.

FearTheHump

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Ah, I can see your point. Yeah, it's probably best that I just do a fresh install with the SSD. Which sucks, since I'm gonna be on 3gb/month download when I go back to uni in 4 days. All of those updates are gonna be fun to download.

tomatthe

Distinguished
Didn't realize you had a reason like that. You could try at least downloading any service packs and have those saved so you didn't have to download them again. It's probably fairly easy to have all the drivers for you motherboard saved locally, and video drivers as well. Would save you a good bit of bandwidth without getting to complicated and trying to figure out exactly which win updates you needed etc.