SSD disappeared from BIOS

germ304

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
So I recently bought an Adata SP550 480gb. Connected it and everything, installed a few games, it was working perfectly fine. The problem is that whenever my computer goes to sleep or shuts off unexpectedly, the ssd disappears from the bios. When I turn the computer back on, sometimes it will lag the whole computer, and logging to windows will take an exceptionally long time and will result in a completely black screen where I can only move my cursor before loading windows explorer. Sometimes when I try to boot into BIOS it will freeze at the logo screen. The only way to fix this is by clean restarting. Can someone please help me with this?

Edit: Forgot to add I also checked for firmware updates and checked if plugs were loose. No firmware updates.

Solution
Sounds like a defective SSD.

If I choose only the 1/5 scores here they all talk about this:
http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B013J7PP96/ref=acr_dpx_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0

i.e.
"More than 3/4 of the drive was corrupted. Installed Windows 8.1, after 5 minutes the computer would freeze and had to be hard reset. Don't recommend."
and
"Quickly flat-lined. First install (Windows 8.1) hung on "Getting ready." Restarted the install, hung on "68% complete." Restarted the install again, "No hard drive detected."
and
"Dead...all dead...wasted 4 hours on this thing and it is dead. Loaded windows, worked the first day and would not start up second day. Tech came in and declared it dead."

Statistically speaking...
make sure your mb bios is updated to rule out a bios bug. if your mb has asmedia sata ports make sure your on the intel or amd ports. also look to see thta your on port 0/1 for the main hard drive. if it still has issue under 30 days rma back for ful lrefund get a better unit.

Think I would lean more to the fact that the Adata ssd drive is faulty.
They are not a ssd drive i would recommend for read and write speeds.
Or reliability.

Had some Adata memory a few years back because it was cheaper, And i suspect it`s the same case with there SSD line of drives.

Swapped the memory out for a better known brand, manufacturer and it resolved all of the problems I was having.
If you have to Rma the drive due to a suspected fault.
Ask if you can swap it for another brand of ssd drive Germ.

Sounds like a defective SSD.

If I choose only the 1/5 scores here they all talk about this:
http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B013J7PP96/ref=acr_dpx_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0

i.e.
"More than 3/4 of the drive was corrupted. Installed Windows 8.1, after 5 minutes the computer would freeze and had to be hard reset. Don't recommend."
and
"Quickly flat-lined. First install (Windows 8.1) hung on "Getting ready." Restarted the install, hung on "68% complete." Restarted the install again, "No hard drive detected."
and
"Dead...all dead...wasted 4 hours on this thing and it is dead. Loaded windows, worked the first day and would not start up second day. Tech came in and declared it dead."

Statistically speaking the 1/5 was only 6% with about 90% 4/5 or 5/5.

You can mess around with wires, firmware etc but I highly doubt it's anything other than a manufacturing defect.

*If you RMA, and get a new SSD then I suggested testing it for a while as a secondary drive. Update firmware if needed and run full/long diagnostics a few times.

Solution