Question SSD disappearing and unable to install Windows 10

Jul 6, 2019
So... I bought a new Mushkin Reactor 500GB to install Windows 10, Linux Mint and leave a bit for some games. And it has been causing a lot of troubles. First off, I have an Asus Prime H110M-P, Intel i5-7400 and a GTX 1050, if it helps. I'm currently running Windows 10 on a WD Blue 1TB, with one 150GB partition for the system and the rest for everything else.

First, Windows wouldn't recognise the new SSD, so I initialised it with GPT. I did checked that the BIOS can boot up using UEFI. After some trouble, I got the Windows installer (USB) to recognise the SSD, that I previously partitioned in three parts. I deleted all of the partitions from the installer since they were causing trouble, let the installer create the partitions and tried to install Windows, but after the "copying files" part, I got a "Windows cannot access the installation sources. Verify that the installation sources are accessible and restart the installation". Here, I didn't find much to do so I tried again and got the same error. At one point, the primary partition created by the installer got stuck and I couldn't delete it from there. So I booted from Windows again and went to the disk manager and deleted it from there. But I ended up with two unallocated spaces and the SSD disappeared after trying to format the second one. From here, I got a lot of trouble trying to get it recognised by the BIOS and/or the OS. One of the times I got it recognised by the OS, I cleaned it with diskpart and initialised it again with GPT, but again disappeared a couple of times.

Right now, I got it to show again after shutting down and powering up the computer several times, changing it from the SATA port a couple of times and resetting the BIOS setting to default a couple of times. I cleaned the SSD again via diskpart, initialised it with MBR this time and created a new volume formatting it to NTFS using disk manager. But now, every time I try to copy something somewhat big, it disappears (from both the explorer and the disk manager) for some seconds (at least until I stop the copy operation) and reappears a bit later. Any idea of what's happening? According to CrystalDiskInfo, the drive is healthy and functioning correctly, but I don't know how much that utility could get.

popatim

Titan
Have you checked if you have an updated motherboard bios?

The error message may be that the USB port you are using is only active when the motherboard has control, once you boot to an OS, like the Windows installer, it needs the driver to be able to use the drive. Try using one of the USB2 ports on the back of the PC. If that doesn't work either then remake the W10 installed flash drive again. Use Microsoft's Media Creation tool.

Jul 6, 2019
I'll try updating the BIOS, since the version its running is from 2017. I was using a USB 3.0 on the back of the PC, because on a 2.0 it didn't load (or maybe it was taking a whole lot of time? I'm not sure). I tried remaking the flash drive twice, one with Rufus and one with MCT.

Right now, though, I'm trying to install Mint. The thing is, there seems to be some problem when trying to format the SSD. Last time I booted Windows, I cleaned the SSD with diskpart again, initialised with GPT and tried to create a volume and format it, but every time I tried to format it, it disappeared for a while and then show up again RAW, or just not showing up again. So I'm trying to install Mint on it to see if something happens. If anything, in the little console from the installer, I've got 47 messages saying: "g_udev_device_has_property: assertion 'G_UDEV_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed".

Thank you, btw.

Jul 6, 2019
So, if it's helpful for anyone, I still don't know what was it but it got solved after connecting the drive with a SATA-USB adapter, with which the drive stopped having issues randomly disappearing and such. I connected it again to the motherboard with another SATA cable and it worked, now I have a dual boot with Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Maybe the whole issue had to do with the SATA cables I originally used to connect it? Though they work just fine with a DVD drive, so who knows. Also, I had the issue that the SSD wouldn't be recognised after booting the PC (before using the OS's I installed) which was solved following this: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...n-bios-but-after-reboot-from-windows.1496685/.

TRENDING THREADS