Question SSD doesn't work on a specific laptop

Aug 20, 2024
I recently replaced the drive of a laptop (Asus x540BA) with an SSD (Western Digital Green 480GB). With the new drive, the laptop sometimes boot normally, and sometimes it doesn't recognize the SSD; I'm sent to the bios, and the bios does not display the drive.

I tested the drive in 2 desktops and the drive works properly.
I tested the laptop by using a different SSD (Crucial CT275MX300SSD1) and everything works properly.

I want the Western Digital Green to work properly on the Asus x540BA laptop, can someone tell me what can I do to achieve this?

Aug 20, 2024
Check to see if the laptop is pending any BIOS updates.

If other drives operate per usual but your WD drive is the one that's showing a hiccup it can be either;
1| The BIOS for your laptop doesn't like the drive
or
2| The drive is faulty/failing.

Out of curiosity, did you reinstall the OPS on the WD drive?
The laptop has the latest BIOS (version 306). I don't think the drive is failing it since I tested it a lot on 2 computers.

I did a clean Windows 11 install and installed all drivers. The laptop's original HDD drive had Windows 10.
I'm considering doing a clean install of Windows 10 or Windows 11 but without any driver.

The laptop has the latest BIOS (version 306). I don't think the drive is failing it since I tested it a lot on 2 computers.

I did a clean Windows 11 install and installed all drivers. The laptop's original HDD drive had Windows 10.
I'm considering doing a clean install of Windows 10 or Windows 11 but without any driver.
Guess.....do you have sata mode options in the bios.....ahci/raid/ide?

If so you might want to try flipping them.....test.

You may need to reinstall the os if you flip the mode.

Aug 20, 2024
Guess.....do you have sata mode options in the bios.....ahci/raid/ide?

If so you might want to try flipping them.....test.

You may need to reinstall the os if you flip the mode.
I only have the AHCI option.

I just tested the drive in 2 other desktops and it worked properly. Then tested it once more in the laptop and had the same issue.

Aug 20, 2024
@jhuju
On your laptop,,,see what you have for UEFI entries. Delete all entries other than 'Windows Boot Manager'.
may have possibly,,, a rogue usb bootable stick entry in the UEFI. Just a guess.
When the error occurs the drive doesn't appear as a boot option. The BIOS doesn't even recognize there is a drive connected.

Check to see if the laptop is pending any BIOS updates.

If other drives operate per usual but your WD drive is the one that's showing a hiccup it can be either;
1| The BIOS for your laptop doesn't like the drive
or
2| The drive is faulty/failing.

Out of curiosity, did you reinstall the OPS on the WD drive?

I tried all the BIOS versions I could find (300, 301, 302, 303, 305 and 306), none of them worked. Also attempted a clean Windows 11 install and a Windows 10 install. Didn't work either.

I tested the drive in another desktop again and everything worked properly.
I also tested the laptop with another drive and everything worked properly.

I find this very odd. I guess my only solution is to buy another SSD of another brand.