ssd drive locked after failed cloning of 1TB drive to 240 SSD,

Andy_38

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
I tried to replace my 1TB drive in my laptop with a 240gb SSD. I ran the cloning software, but then I installed the drive it would not boot. I went back to using the 1TB drive and tried to partition/format the SSD for my desktop machine, but when it boots it asks for a password. I never set any password. Any ideas?

dbaps22

Reputable
May 28, 2015
To unlock the drive, boot up with a Windows OS disk, the same as your OS of course. Go into repair, advanced, command prompt. Run chkdsk /f on your OS boot partition. So if it's C, chkdsk c: /f. This is what unlocked my drive. I then did a fresh install of Windows 10 and then manually did the install.

I tried to use the free version of http://www.easeus.com/partition-recovery/ and this failed to create a boot partition. I tried manually fixing it from the command prompt but no luck. It had made the UEFI partition the C drive and my OS the D drive.

What worked for me on the clone is this:

http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/

The downside...it costs $19.95. But it really does work. I am not affiliated in any way with the company. I did buy a product one time to allow NTFS partitions to be seen on a Mac.

Anyway, two solutions...One is the repair with the chkdsk and fresh install. The second is the Paragon software. I do not know if the drive must be unlocked first before using the Paragon software.

Make sure source and target drives are both GPT or MBR...Don't make them different. Make sure the bios settings are the same when booting source and target for Secure Boot and UEFI. Are you using legacy mode for example...

Have you tried just using the Windows image backup with a restore to the new drive? That is free and worth trying also.

I have found that a lot of these software products can't handle some of the newer bios settings like Secure boot and UEFI. This was especially true with Windows 8 and 8.1. Acronis was awful with Windows 8.

shaolin_thumbs

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
Dbaps22 gave you a good answer.also you could try just disconnecting all other drives,loading into repair then deleting all partitions and doing a fresh install.once installed shut pc down and reconnect your other drive(s)as long as you've set the ssd as the primary partition (boot drive)you'll be cooking on gas.it worked for me I had the same problem :)also just ignore the password thing and just press enter,again I had same issue is just windows trying to be clever...