SSD error to write

Bullphrog855

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
This may fold over into a few different questions but to start with, some background.

This happened about a month or so ago.

I have a 120GB SSD that, at the time, had my OS, Steam, Chrome and Firefox and 2 games (Total war: Warhammer and Rainbow six: Siege.) Steam was sit to auto update and I kept an eye on my storage space on all my drives pretty regularly. But I slipped up and multiple updates came rolling down at the same time filling up my SSD.

I realized this and deleted about everything short of any important programs like browsers and tried to reorganized my drives, putting steam on my HDD. When I went to install TW:W back on my SSD Steam error pops up saying "An error occurred while installing Total War: Warhammer (disk write error)"

I checked my drives properties->security to make sure permissions were squared away. It didn't help.

Then I tried running the steam in Administrator and at the time it would let me download to some extent, eventually and inconsistently in it's timing, the download would lock up and the it would halt. After a few tries I did get TW:W to download.

Since then I've had GPU Drivers as well as windows 10 updates that went, well short of rattling my nerves, pretty smoothly.

Enter today.

TW:W had an update, steam error pop up again with the same error message. Steam running in administrator mode doesn't help, SSD has 30GB of free space and the permissions are how they should be.

The question is, have I force the SSD to hit it's write limit, or is there a way to get my SSD to write again.

I'm ready prepared for the bad answer, and if so I have a few other questions.

Edit: I transferred 23GB (DCS) from my HDD to my SSD last night and it went smoothly. I did a Dskchk as well and it went fine as well. It seems to be a steam issue exclusively.

Bullphrog855

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

Says it's health is excellent, 100%, and estimate life time 8 years 3 months.

I suspected it was going to be on it's last legs but like I said in the edit, it did write 23GB to it when it was coming from my HDD and dskchk said everything was fine as well.

Bullphrog855

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

Yeah, It's feeling like a steam issue more and more. I plan on buying a 500GB SSD for games and keep the 120GB exclusively for my OS and browsers from here on out and turn off any kind of auto-downloads just to prevent this from happening again. I'm happy as long as Windows 10 and my hardware drivers can update with out issues, which seems like it will.

Thanks for the peace of mind, last thing I wanted was to deal with moving my OS to a different drive, if it's even possible. I dunno.