Question SSD failed during chkdsk repair and now not found - - - - anyway to repair or recover ?

Aug 22, 2022
Hi, my dad told me yesterday his PC was not running and just kept stalling on start up.
I checked it out and managed to get it started but after running some system scans Windows said there were errors with the (Windows 10 OS Sandisk SSD) drive so I began a check disk repair through Windows. It got as far as the first pass at 95% (33% overall) then it just sat there overnight with no change so I hard reset it and subsequently the system stopped running.
I have taken the SSD out and put it inside another system and tried it with a USB adapter but it cannot be found either in device manager or disk management.

I have seen claims from programmes like EaseUS saying it can recover data or fix MBR of failed SSD's but then when I have looked at the info the recommended steps don't relate to my situation.

Is there anything that can be done to try and initialize a disk that cannot be found and doesn't have a drive number?

If not is there any way to retrieve the data from the SSD?

Cheers for any help.

Last edited:
What is the model of your SSD? Where are you located?

BTW, running CHKDSK was a very bad idea. Instead you should have cloned the drive while you had the chance. I suspect that CHKDSK thrashed the drive until the firmware "panicked" (due to bad NAND), and now the drive cannot start.

This is a list of SSDs which are currently supported by PC3000 (the most popular data recovery tool):

https://blog.acelab.eu.com/pc-3000-ssd-list-of-supported-ssd-drives-regularly-updated.html

Aug 22, 2022
What is the model of your SSD? Where are you located?

BTW, running CHKDSK was a very bad idea. Instead you should have cloned the drive while you had the chance. I suspect that CHKDSK thrashed the drive until the firmware "panicked" (due to bad NAND), and now the drive cannot start.

This is a list of SSDs which are currently supported by PC3000 (the most popular data recovery tool):

https://blog.acelab.eu.com/pc-3000-ssd-list-of-supported-ssd-drives-regularly-updated.html
It's a San Disk plus 240gb (SDSSDA-240)
And i am UK (greater London) based.

Last edited: