SSD Failure - Could my problem have just been a loose cable? (Samsung 120g EVO SSD)

Ferr37

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
Last night my computer began behaving oddly, culminating with a system lockup. After a minute, moments before I was going to hard-reset it, it shut down and booted back up incredibly slowly. When it logged back into Windows, it took over a minute for the desktop icons to appear, before promptly shutting itself down again.

When I booted it back up, the computer went into Disk Checking after the initial Windows 7 splash, where it hung on 0/220k. After a long delay, it began to reel off every sector in the entire hard drive as unreadable. Pretty obvious my drive was dead, right?

Before giving up the ghost entirely and installing a HDD to get a basic OS up and the computer running for the next 24 hours, I unplugged the afflicted SSD, reseated it, and plugged it back in.

It booted up promptly. I let it do a pre-boot Disk Check again, and this time it progressed cleanly and efficiently to a 60 second finish, and booted into Windows without a delay. It ran games, media, and restarted without a problem. I left it running overnight, and it was still happily purring away before I left for work.

Could it just have needed to have the cables reseated more firmly? Am I willing myself to believe my problem is gone, when it's just waiting to fail entirely at some point in the near future?

I'm not hoping for ironclad answers, but I've never heard of a SSD being detected, but unusable, because of a simple mechanical connection, and I'm hoping for a nudge in either direction from my peers here. Could it just have been a loose cable, or should I be buying a replacement drive and Warranty-returning this one?

Thank you for any input!

Solution
Some people get lazy and just seat the SSD without securing it. When it gets loose and connections are still running, sometimes a short can happen which THEN can permanently damage your SSD. Your best bet in your situation is to make sure all cables are secured, connections as well and observe any signs of shut down again.

Lastly, your PSU could cause intermittent shut downs at random but in your case I doubt that is the culprit. Good luck!

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Some people get lazy and just seat the SSD without securing it. When it gets loose and connections are still running, sometimes a short can happen which THEN can permanently damage your SSD. Your best bet in your situation is to make sure all cables are secured, connections as well and observe any signs of shut down again.

Lastly, your PSU could cause intermittent shut downs at random but in your case I doubt that is the culprit. Good luck!

Solution
Run the samsung magician software to check the SSD health status, like SMART, the 1st time error may be caused by the OS files in the bad blocks of the SSD, it just like the OS can't find those files to boot the PC. Because you reinstall the OS, and now the PC run fine that means the SSD is fine because the whole SSD has thousands and thousands block to use, if it only has dead fews block, the SSD will be fine and that why I recommend to check SSD health status.