SSD failure OR Windows 7 Corrupted

renny1994

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Hi i have a system with a corsair force 3 60GB SSD with Windows 7 on it.
Recently, when i tried booting the system, it would not boot into windows, instead it would get stuck on the
"Loading Operating System
.................................................................."
page and then it would ask to load an operating system and press ENTER.

I have inserted the drive into another computer by USB to check the system files and it seems fine, i can read and write to and from the drive and i can see the system files on my other com.

I have also tried booting the Drive from other computers but same issue.

I am not sure if its a driver issue or a corrupted windows file.

I have tried other methods, setting the drive to first boot, forcing the system to boot from the drive, setting to ACHI mode, inserting the drive into different SATA ports and controller, all to no avail.

If anyone has any solutions, please do help me out here

Thanks

Solution
Sounds like you might have a bootkit/rootkit most likely zero access you get that from browsing the web hitting a site with a java/flash exploit and it injects into your system.
Not having an AV and browsing the web is not a good idea best free AV is Avast.
You might want to check if you have the newest firmware for your ssd make sure if you have anything important on that ssd to back it up before.
You might have a corrupt system file try getting to system prompt and run chkdsk /r

rdc85

Honorable
mostly corrupted windows files, when u check in the other comp did u also runs scanning for the drive?

And In Bios (post screen) is the drive detected? if not try changing the sata and power cables, if it detected mostly it the windows problems..

U may need win repair / backup disk.........

renny1994

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
My drive is detected by both coms in the Bios, but it just refuse to boot from it, i tried windows repair, but it cannot detect the windows partition from the drive.

if you can boot into safe mode..check to see you dont have two anti virus loaded..or an old one..i had my ssd lock up on older version of anti virus or a bad anti virus update. if safe mode words go into ms config and in the start up tab turn ever thing off. then uninstall the video drivers. those are the three most things that can hang a system at post if it a damaged program or driver.

renny1994

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
The problem is i cant even get an option to boot into safe mode, windows partition isn't being detected and i never install anti-virus, cause i dont need it, i mainly use my com for web-browsing and rarely download anything. Yes i know it isn't safe and stuff, but i havent gotten a computer crash since i installed the SSD until now.

RussK1

Splendid

Bit of a contradiction don't you think?

Whether the problem lies with AV or not, who knows. But the truth is, if you go on the internet you want protection. You don't have to actually click on a download to catch a sickness.

When you installed Windows was the drive set to IDE? And prior to changing to AHCI in bios did you change registry settings in Windows?

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Sounds like you might have a bootkit/rootkit most likely zero access you get that from browsing the web hitting a site with a java/flash exploit and it injects into your system.
Not having an AV and browsing the web is not a good idea best free AV is Avast.
You might want to check if you have the newest firmware for your ssd make sure if you have anything important on that ssd to back it up before.
You might have a corrupt system file try getting to system prompt and run chkdsk /r

Solution

renny1994

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Thanks for the tip, will look into getting an AV, never liked them, but will look into getting one.
Firmware wise, i have updated to the lastest.
And what is chkdsk/r and what does it do??

RussK1

Splendid

Microsoft Security Essentials HERE. The only free AV I would trust and it's from Microsoft.

You may well have issues with the SSD or OS corruption, but it seems to me you may have over-fiddled and ew-scrayed your boot sequence and HDD/SSD setup.

Switching ports and HDD config will do that. If you did not initially F6 your AHCI inf when you installed your OS, that most likely is going to fail.

renny1994

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Hmm unlikely, like i've mentioned, i have tried using a different port with different controllers, and yes have enabled AHCI, my board will automatically switch to ACHI if an SSD is detected. and i have tried to force boot into the SSD, so i doubt that boot sequence has anything to do with it. Also i have tried unplugging all my drives, including CD-ROM, and starting it, again no luck.

marshaln

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I am having the exact same problem as the OP, and I do run an AV constantly. After about a week of trying to fix the computer, I am starting to think that my SSD's life is up - I've had it for over 3.5 years, and for much of its life it was relatively full. I think the write/rewrite thing got to it.

Reason I say that is because I tried reinstalling windows a few times in the past week to get the OS to work properly. At first the symptoms were mild - random errors in windows, etc. I decided maybe it's that time again to reinstall windows. Then later it started getting more serious - windows updates would fail for no obvious reason, and then parts of windows' system services weren't loading properly. Now, when I tried reinstalling again, it won't boot up. The BIOS sees the drive just fine, and when I install the drive onto another box as a secondary it can see the files. When I try to use it to boot though it says certain system files are corrupt and it won't boot - and after formatting/reinstalling again, it's a different file that's corrupt and wont' boot.

So, I think this is the mythical "lifespan" problem hitting my SSD. It's an OCZ Vertex, first gen. It's had a good run, time for a bigger disk.

michtwn

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
I recently started having blue screen problems with windows 7. It turned out that the sata contoller was intermittent followed by a total failure of the contoller. After replacing the motherboard, I reinstalled Windows. It worked for awhile until I started installing more programs. I would then started getting blue screens again. After reinstalling Windows 3 times still resulting in blue screens, I figured my Kingston SSD was finished. As a last resort, I erased the primary and reserved partitions using a program called Kill Disk which writes zeros on the partitions. I reinstalled Windows and now everything works great. Just make sure that you just erase the partions, not the whole drive. The program works really well and is easy to use. I hope this helps someone who's having the same problem.