SSD File Locations

toaztr

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Alright so I have been searching and searching and cant find anything on this.. So I have an SSD and a HDD. On the SSD I have a few games and usually store my programs and any large file that doesn't need speed or anything. Now I recently changed some file locations to get them to go onto my HDD. Ya know the standard folders in the quck access tab in file explorer? Well I made all of those (Desktop, downloads, pictures, videos, etc..) over to my HDD. My question is should I have the desktop one on my ssd or hdd? Is it going to mess around with speeds when transferring stuff to my desktop and what not? I am pretty OCD and this has been bugging me.. What are your guys's thoughts? How do you set up your files? Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions!

Kohwali

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
If your OS is installed on your SSD, your boot times will still be the same. If you change your directories to reference places on your HDD, then when you want to transfer them to your SSD the speeds will be limited to what the HDD can handle. Personally I keep my OS installed on my SSD along with programs and games, but have Desktop, Documents, Music, and Videos referenced to folders on my HDD.

toaztr

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

I see, I may just keep it like this. I am just curious to see if im doing it right lol I know it really is preference but yeah.