SSD filling up

Sweeds

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
So I have a 120 gig ssd for my rig for windows while I have a 2tb for everything else. For the few months I have had this pc it has been at 58 gigs free on the ssd or hovering around that. Now in this past week I have been doing a lot of game recording but it saves to my other hdd and my ssd all of a sudden is at 37 gigs free. My friend told me to get CCleaner so I did and it got rin of 3 gigs then after I restarted my pc it went back to 37. Idk what to do I am afraid it is gona fill up/

Solution

the system restore points can eat that up; limit the size of your system restore in control panel, system, system protection, system restore

hibernate will eat up whatever your ram is in memory, so if you have 8gb ram, good bye 8gb of SSD...

Sweeds

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015

System restore only allows up to 5 gigs of use and I already tried the built in disk cleaner windows has

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
It's possible that whatever you are recording with is making temp files on your SSD even though you are saving elsewhere. As i7Baby says, go through your file folders on that drive and look for things you don't need, and/or files of unusually large size. Running a disk cleaner doesn't automatically mean it removes everything you don't want/need, because it really has no way of knowing.

Edit: if it turns out to be recording temp files look in your recording programs settings for an option to delete those on closing the program.

yosifcuervo

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
If you've been doing a lot of recording, then most likely your recording app is caching data to your system drive, or storing information in a temp folder somewhere. I was going to suggest the free version of Treesize to find where your space is going (https://www.jam-software.de/customers/downloadTrial.php?article_no=80) - I'm sure the WinDirStat suggested in the previous reply would work similarly.

the system restore points can eat that up; limit the size of your system restore in control panel, system, system protection, system restore

hibernate will eat up whatever your ram is in memory, so if you have 8gb ram, good bye 8gb of SSD space; turn off hibernate by entering an elevated command prompt (administration mode) and typing powercfg /hibernate off

clear out your temp folders located at
c:\users\[username]\appdata\local\temp
c:\windows\temp

clean up your windows update installers, by navigating to your computer, then right click on the hard drive, go to properties, then disk cleanup, then chose "clean up system files" ; the pc might require a reboot

you can also check what's eating the space with WinDirStat

Solution

Sweeds

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
Ok I found out what to do. Before I could not fine the users/[username]/appdata/local/temp folder. I knew appdata was a hidden file but I knew how to get to it by typing in %appdata% up in the bar but there was no "temp" file there. I know found this so that I enabled "view hidden files" then went back to the appdata folder and the temp folder was there (except that it wasn't transparent like other hidden files. I went into it and deleted everything not from the past 24 hours and it cleared up a whopping 30 gigabytes off my ssd. Thanks for the help guys.

ah, yeah, i forgot that it can be tricky to find. you can also just jump to it by typing %temp% in your search box in the start menu (windows 7) or in the "windows key + s" search box on windows 8.

Strycer

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015