Question SSD filling up

Aug 9, 2019
Hey there,

This is probably a naive question, but I've noticed whenever I'm installing new programs on my HDD (no matter what storage size they are), my SSD keeps filling up. In 9 days my SSD available storage space has gone from 189 GB to 182 GB (now).
Is that something normal considering I'm installing some softwares or is there something not working properly?

Thank you for the attention.

Aug 9, 2019
When you’re installing programs are you downloading the installer files into the SSD? Like is your download location on the ssd not the HDD?

Yes, my Download location is the default, set in the SSD. How can I set the default Download to the HDD?

I've done a Disk Clean Up and it went back to 183 GB, but I still am worried about the 6 GBs in 9 days.

Yes, my Download location is the default, set in the SSD. How can I set the default Download to the HDD?

I've done a Disk Clean Up and it went back to 183 GB, but I still am worried about the 6 GBs in 9 days.
You can always just delete the download files or make them Run instead of save.
Not sure on changing download location cos I’m more of a hardware guy but I’m sure a google search would help with that. Also I’m not great with W10 I use a MacBook for anything that isn’t gaming...

Reactions: Suez980
Feb 20, 2019
If your win 10 is on the ssd u really cant change the location for default downloads... But what you can do (i did also) was that in steam in the settings you can change the default location where games gets downloaded (not the same as steam itself) to a gamefile i created in the HDD. and some downloads goes through the dowload file, so you can go to the dowloads file in the file manage. Go to properties and change direction. Create a new file in the HDD and put the new direction there. This though does not work to every single dowload...

In Windows 10, you can change the default location for 'My Downloads'. I have changed 'My Downloads', 'My Documents', 'My pictures', and 'My Music' folders to all be on my D: drive (HDD) instead of my C: drive (SSD). Google how to do it..it's quite easy. I've also gone in to the settings for Google Chrome (my browser) and set it to use my new default Download directory for all downloads. I have also done the same for uTorrent for any torrenting I do.
As was also said, once you have downloaded and installed a program/game, you can usually safely delete the downloaded files.

Aug 26, 2019
You can tell your browser where to store downloads.
In Chrome, go to Settings. Look for Downloads on the left side and there you can either set a location (a folder) or select to let it ask you where to save the files to.