SSD for boot drive ?

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hello all, and again thanks in advance for your thoughts and time.

Well I completed my first build back in June and already am getting the upgrade bug. I'm thinking I may get an SSD drive for my OS and format my present HDD for the storage.

I want to know if you use an SSD for the OS do you also have to load all your other applications such as Norton Virus, iTunes and games on the SSD or do the applications go on the 2nd storage drive. Also, do I have to install windows on both drives in order to access the files stored on the storage disk?

If you can suggest any where I might read about different configuration setups I would appreciate that to.

Thanks all, you folks are great.

Solution

You only need the OS on the SSD, the HDD can be blank.

Once you install the OS in the SSD, you can go into your My Computer and you should have two Local Drives. One is the SSD and the other is the HDD.

You can just install all the applications, store files, and etc on your HDD and leave your SSD free for whatever you want to use it for.

Its a pretty simple process once you learn it.

-M

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Umn, you can install JUST the OS on the SSD (which would be C ) then you can set the my documents folder to be on your second drive (which is the HDD, lettered for example F) You can just change folder destination, by right clicking on your My Documents Icon and going to Properties and changing the TARGET folder. You would want to set it too your HDD drive letter (such as F ).

Now for any applications such as Norton or iTunes, you can install them either on the SSD or the HDD (they DO NOT have to be on the same drive as your OS), you can do this in the installation process. During the installation process you should be asked for the destination folder. Make sure it is being installed either to your SSD (C ) or your HDD (F for example), once you select one of those then it will be installed on either drive you choose.

Lastly, any files you have on your HDD should be accessible from your SDD. However if you do format the HDD you will loose all your data off it. You can leave the OS on the HDD, and just set it as a slave.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hi Matt, thanks for your help. More ?'s if u dont mind.

If I use the SSD for the OS and applications such as Norton and iTunes do I also install windows to the HDD.

is there any advantage or disadvantage one way or the other?

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010

You only need the OS on the SSD, the HDD can be blank.

Once you install the OS in the SSD, you can go into your My Computer and you should have two Local Drives. One is the SSD and the other is the HDD.

You can just install all the applications, store files, and etc on your HDD and leave your SSD free for whatever you want to use it for.

Its a pretty simple process once you learn it.

-M

Solution