SSD for Intel DX58SO MB

kiran08

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Hi,

I am looking for a SSD for my intel DX58SO motherboard with i7920 CPU installed. Also I would like to understand if SSDs are properly supported on this motherboard.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Kiran

Solution
Intel's documentation states that it only supports SATA II (3.0Gb/S), so you won't be able to max out the better SSD's, which are SATA III (6.0Gb/S). Sustained read/write speeds of the top tier SSD's can do 500MB/S, but SATA II will cap you at half that, about 250. You'll still notice an appreciable boost in boot up/shut down and launching apps, even with SATA II (I'm stuck with that too).

Another thing you might want to check is if your specific motherboard has AHCI as an option in your BIOS. This depends on the manufacturer. This provides support for TRIM, which is important for the SSD's longevity.

One option to solve both problems is to get a SATA III controller add on card. You'll be capped at 5Gb/s since it's on a PCIe...

jjhuang42

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Intel's documentation states that it only supports SATA II (3.0Gb/S), so you won't be able to max out the better SSD's, which are SATA III (6.0Gb/S). Sustained read/write speeds of the top tier SSD's can do 500MB/S, but SATA II will cap you at half that, about 250. You'll still notice an appreciable boost in boot up/shut down and launching apps, even with SATA II (I'm stuck with that too).

Another thing you might want to check is if your specific motherboard has AHCI as an option in your BIOS. This depends on the manufacturer. This provides support for TRIM, which is important for the SSD's longevity.

One option to solve both problems is to get a SATA III controller add on card. You'll be capped at 5Gb/s since it's on a PCIe slot. Here's a relatively well rated card at Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815256005&Tpk=silverstone%20sata%20iii%20card

Good luck!

Solution

Xenturion

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I've got the same board myself and asked myself the same question when it came time to decide on an SSD. After a lot of deliberation, considering PCIe SATA 3 Cards I ended up deciding on two low capacity SSD's in R0. The 64GB OCZ Agility3's lack the more numerous memory channels of the larger capacity drives so less speed is wasted having them connected to a SATA 2 port. And combined, they achieve performance beyond that of a SATA 2 port, which is really what I wanted. However, bandwidth isn't everything and it's the extremely low latency and high IOPS of SSD's that really make for a smooth experience.

kiran08

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

Its a great suggestion !!

Since I have an another WD disk of 500GB, I am thinking about using SSD for OS / applications and WD disk to store data backups.

Thanks for your time..
Kiran