[SOLVED] SSD for older Toshiba Laptop

Kc11

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Hi guys, I hope everyone is safe from the coronaviris and healthy.

I have an older toshiba laptop. i want to upgrade its HDD to 1TB M.2 nvme or 2.5 inch SSD. I would greatly appreciate if someone can suggest what i should get. I use this laptop for internet browsing and Games like X-plane 11 and P3D.

my laptop specs:

Toshiba satellite P875-S7102 laptop.
2.4GHz Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor.
Mobile Intel HD Graphics.
8GB of DDR3 RAM.
750GB (5400 rpm) HDD.

I would like to put an M.2 nvme but i will have to use an M.2 to 2.5' sata adapter. Will the M.2 get too hot inside the adapter?

Thanks.

Solution
Just drop in a 2.5" SATA III SSD. And in an older system like this, you'll never see the difference.

In addition to...if such an adapter were to exist, (and I'm not sure one does), it would still run at SATA III speed.
Also in addition, there is no actual space inside that for such an adapter.

USAFRet

Titan
Just drop in a 2.5" SATA III SSD. And in an older system like this, you'll never see the difference.

In addition to...if such an adapter were to exist, (and I'm not sure one does), it would still run at SATA III speed.

Solution

Kc11

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

Thank you for your help. So something like this adapter wont work ?
SYBA SY-ADA40087 Driverless 2.5" SATA III to M.2 SSD Adapter
https://www.newegg.com/syba-sy-ada40087-m-2-ssd-to-sata-iii-2-5-enclosure-adapter/p/N82E16817998236

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for your help. So something like this adapter wont work ?
SYBA SY-ADA40087 Driverless 2.5" SATA III to M.2 SSD Adapter
https://www.newegg.com/syba-sy-ada40087-m-2-ssd-to-sata-iii-2-5-enclosure-adapter/p/N82E16817998236

Thanks
I'm pretty sure that is for an M.2 SATA drive to convert to a regular SATA interface..
Same speed, just a different package.

Not for an NVMe drive to SATA interface.
And even if it were, you'd STILL only get SATA performance out of it.

Kc11

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
I'm pretty sure that is for an M.2 SATA drive to convert to a regular SATA interface..
Same speed, just a different package.

Not for an NVMe drive to SATA interface.
And even if it were, you'd STILL only get SATA performance out of it.

Thanx.

I'll take ur advice and stick with 2.5 ssd sata III.