SSD for OS + 2TB Raid 1 with 1TB USB backup feedback

orionshadow

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Hey guys,

I just finished ordering all the parts for my new system and for the first time I'm going to be going with a RAID setup.

After reading a bunch of forum posts I would just like to get a little feedback on my plan.

Parts:

Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate?

Crucial M4 128 SSD

2 x 2TB SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI HDD's

Western Digital MyBook 1TB USB Hard Drive (Already have from previous system)

on an ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 motherboard
---------------------------------------------------------------
The SSD will be used for the OS and a few games/applications.

So.... SSD + 2TB RAID1 for storage/other programs and use the 1TB external as a Backup for everything.

How could I backup my 128 SSD incase that fails? Would this work? Is this overkill? Just looking for a little input as the best solution for what Im trying to do (not lose data :0 )

Thanks

You need 4 TB of storage plus the 1 TB my book ? Win 7 Ultimate also has an automatic backup feature that you can designate where you want the backup to be. The mybook would suffice being the backup while one 2 TB drive for storage is enough, unless you really have a lot of movies , albums and large files. You do seem to be focused on storage , what about the video card , maybe you can forgo one of the hdd's for a little bit better video card.

orionshadow

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Please re-read. The 2TB would be in a RAID1 configuration or some other configuration and the Mybook is backup.

What I need to know if this is feasible/smart or if there is a better way to utilize the components listed in the first post.

Also, Is there a way with these HD's to backup my SSD (OS drive) in case of failure? I do have a 160GB HD that I have lying around that I could use.

TRENDING THREADS