SSD for OS or HDD for OS?

LegendOfLich

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Should I just have everything on my 1tb harddrive, and my recordings on an ssd, or should I have everything on my hdd, and then my os on my ssd?

callofDEEP

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
its better to have os, applications & games(games on ssd are just a tad more high on fps compared to hdd.. u can keep them in hdd too ..) on ssd.. os on ssd is much faster than on a hdd..
and media stuff should should be in a hdd.. coz media files doesn't use any of the ssd's potential and will be very costly too..

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

Actually, your info is incorrect. SSD's don't give you higher framerates in games. Here is a direct quote from a test:

"In terms of raw video game performance our conclusion is that upgrading to an SSD made absolutely no difference in gameplay performance. Honestly, we did not expect that it would, hence why we held back for so long on upgrading to SSDs. In every game we tested the performance fell within the margin of error for a realworld gameplay run-through. We tested some very demanding games as well such as Battlefield 4 and ARMA 3. However, no game showed any performance advantage with the SSD versus the HDD. The framerates were the same, the frame consistency was the same."
Site: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/12/10/hdd_vs_ssd_real_world_gaming_performance/1#.VVMMqZNgSKE

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
SSD's are primarily good for quicker launches and load times... but not so much for data.

Keep your O/S, Browser, Media Players, Office and drivers ... all on your SSD...

Relocate your Videos, Pictures, Music, and Downloads to your other drive..

I would also use the mechanical hard drive to install all your games and misc/general programs on... that will save the save on your SSD and allow your Image Backups to complete in a matter of 1-5 minutes.

callofDEEP

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
hmm.. that's a great article .. and i agree with that.. but at least it will decrease the loading times..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lR0XoHFU6Y